ATX Community

Creating e-file

mccoystax

Hi all. I'm trying to create an e-file and the I keep getting an error message stating that the preparer EIN must be 9 digits. I've never had an EIN before. Is this something new or am I just missing something? Thanks for any help. Rich :scratch_head:

Take a look at your preparer tab and verify the info there. Sounds to me like maybe you have something invalid entered on the EIN tab.

I'm a one person office so I don't enter anything on the EIN field, but rather I have a PTIN number that I use in the appropriate field.

Hope this helps!

Deb!

@mccoystax - What we used to see a lot, as one who supported ATX software years back, is that when a preparer would tab through the fields sometimes would accidentally hit the return key and leave a space there, or would simply hit another character as Tax Prep by Deb suggested. But what I would try, is go to the EIN field make sure they isn't a random character in there, or even click in the field and delete spaces if any.

Another thing that would work is deleting the form, save return, open form again, make sure all info is correct, save return and then try to create e-file once more. Sometimes all it takes is a little refreshing.

Hi all. I'm trying to create an e-file and the I keep getting an error message stating that the preparer EIN must be 9 digits. I've never had an EIN before. Is this something new or am I just missing something? Thanks for any help. Rich :scratch_head:

I see this message as well, but it's a blue "informational" message that doesn't prevent e-file. I have a PTIN, which is entered. I'll have to check if there is an EIN box checked somewhere on my Preparer tab.

I see this message as well, but it's a blue "informational" message that doesn't prevent e-file. I have a PTIN, which is entered. I'll have to check if there is an EIN box checked somewhere on my Preparer tab.

I also see the message you are referring to. I don't believe it means a things and it has not prevented me from e-filing or receiving acks. I think it's just a quirk the same as me having to go and change my 1040 e-file info form to indicated NO bank products. That is annoying!

Deb!