ATX Community

yAHOOOOOOO

GeorgeM

I didn't time it, but I think my hold time yesterday was probably 10-15 minutes. I talked to them for about 45 minutes (+/-) and they couldn't determine why my e-file rejected either. I spoke to a tech person and she was discussing it with a tax person. Maybe it was an IRS glitch?

I didn't time it, but I think my hold time yesterday was probably 10-15 minutes. I talked to them for about 45 minutes (+/-) and they couldn't determine why my e-file rejected either. I spoke to a tech person and she was discussing it with a tax person. Maybe it was an IRS glitch?

Hard to figure out IRS rejects sometimes are an IRS glitch. Like the recent 0448's. However, IRS glitches happen in large numbers when they happen and usually a lot of other people get the same thing. Like everyone who had an IRA deduction getting rejected for being over age 70.5.

If it's not an IRS reject and it's hard to figure out, it frequently ends up being software related. If it's simple data entry error that's usually easy to find.

I took TRX's advise and resubmitted. It rejected again. I have a call into one of the people that helped me last night but he hasn't called back. I posted a question about this reject on the e-file forum but have had no responses there, either. I guess I'm the only one with this problem. It's related to a military couple with almost all wages combat related. They are eligible for EIC but IRS is rejecting. Everything is filled out like on the W-2 and everything seems to be calculating correctly. If TRX can't help, I may just have to call IRS. That sounds even more fun that software support this time of year. Maybe it won't be too bad.

Thanks

I took TRX's advise and resubmitted. It rejected again. I have a call into one of the people that helped me last night but he hasn't called back. I posted a question about this reject on the e-file forum but have had no responses there, either. I guess I'm the only one with this problem. It's related to a military couple with almost all wages combat related. They are eligible for EIC but IRS is rejecting. Everything is filled out like on the W-2 and everything seems to be calculating correctly. If TRX can't help, I may just have to call IRS. That sounds even more fun that software support this time of year. Maybe it won't be too bad.

Thanks

Military ... Combat pay...

Just a thought, but is there anything in box 1 of that W-2?

Box 1 for the TP has about $1500 and for the spouse is $0. When I resubmitted I did change the $0 to $1. It still rejected with the same error. I spent a couple of hours talking to various IRS people today. At least I didn't spend much of that time on hold.

I started with the e-help desk. They went looking through the return and even did a data dump to see everything. They did more research and called me back. Unfortunately that was while I was out and they left a voice mail. They told me that the combat election had to total both W-2s. If I felt this was wrong I could call the regular help line (800-829-1040).

Well, that's not true. It is acceptable for the spouse only to elect to include the combat pay. That was done last year in August with no problem.

So, I called the tax practitioner hotline. They didn't know anything about it. I suggested the possibility of leaving off the Q and the amount on the TP W-2. This would not change anything on the return, but would cause a mismatch when they compare to the real W-2 later. They sent me to tax law. The guy who answered said that was not what their department did and that did not staff lawyers. He quickly sent me to EIC. This lady was very nice and she checked for any alerts to see if there were known problems with their s/w or any of the vendors not processing this correctly. She had no info on it. As to my "work-around" she said they couldn't advice me to do that.

Next step is that I will call TRX again and see if they can find a software problem. TaxWise has been around a while. I would think they could program this correctly. At this point, I really don't know if the problem is TaxWise or IRS.

If anyone knows anything about this problem, I am open to suggestions. My clients came in Sunday with a simple return and yet they won't be able to get their refund next Friday. It's a shame after all they have done for our Country.

So you must be having an IRS reject code 1068.

(Pub 1346)

1068 o

Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ – If Nontaxable Combat Pay Election (SEQ

1185) is significant; it must equal total nontaxable combat pay

on Forms W-2. On Form W-2, nontaxable combat pay is the amount

in Employer’s Use Amount (SEQ 0246, 0256, 0259, 0262, statement)

when corresponding Employer’s Use Code (SEQ 0242, 0252, 0257,

0260, statement) is “Q”.

Field 1185 is just once per return so it's marking it as for the total return. Based on that description, you will not be able to efile a tax return electing it on only one W-2. At least, unless they change that reject.

As far as it being allowed, yes. On a MFJ return both TP and SP can make that election separately.

(Pub 596)

Nontaxable combat pay. You can elect to include your nontaxable combat pay in

earned income for the earned income credit. If you make the election, you must include

in earned income all nontaxable combat pay you received. If you are filing a joint return

and both you and your spouse received nontaxable combat pay, you can each make

your own election. The amount of your nontaxable combat pay should be shown on your

Form W-2 in box 12 with code Q.

So then you've got a valid tax return that can't be filed electronically. Sucks... :(

At any rate, TaxWise is not to blame here, other than perhaps they could have put in a validation to inform you the return couldn't be efiled. It is a new reject code this year so they may have just missed it.

Now, as far as omitting the Q amount on the one W-2, I've done worse to get something through. The return is correct. It might generate a letter down the road but would be easily resolved with probably just a phone call to the IRS at that time. You could include the information in a preparer note on the return. That would get your return sent electronically though. Otherwise paper file or hold onto it and hope the IRS changes how that reject works to accommodate the election by only one spouse.

Yes, it is a 1068 error referencing Seq 1165. However, I don't think that error code is new. Since TaxWise does not provide the description with the error code (or at least I haven't found it), I had to look it up in Pub 1345a. The latest version I see on their website is from 2005 and it is in there.

I'll see what I can find out in the next couple of days. But if it can't be fixed in time, I will try it without the TP's Q and include in the preparer notes (if I can find it).

I've still got a lot to learn on this s/w and I just can't find the time to search the book. I may cheat, and just ask here.

Thanks for your research and help.

Yes, it is a 1068 error referencing Seq 1165. However, I don't think that error code is new. Since TaxWise does not provide the description with the error code (or at least I haven't found it), I had to look it up in Pub 1345a. The latest version I see on their website is from 2005 and it is in there.

I'll see what I can find out in the next couple of days. But if it can't be fixed in time, I will try it without the TP's Q and include in the preparer notes (if I can find it).

I've still got a lot to learn on this s/w and I just can't find the time to search the book. I may cheat, and just ask here.

Thanks for your research and help.

You're right, old reject code. I usually assume something in all red is new but it just means they changed it.

1068 for 2007: (pub 1346)

1068 o Form 1040/1040A/104EZ – If Nontaxable Combat Pay Election

(SEQ 1185) is significant, it must equal total nontaxable combat

pay on Forms W-2. On Form W-2, nontaxable combat pay is the

amount in Employer’s Use Amount (SEQ 0246, 0256, 0259, 0262,

statement) when the corresponding Employer’s Use Code (SEQ 0242,

0252, 0257, 0260, statement) is “Q”.

1068 for 2008: (pub 1346)

1068 o

Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ – If Nontaxable Combat Pay Election (SEQ

1185) is significant; it must equal total nontaxable combat pay

on Forms W-2. On Form W-2, nontaxable combat pay is the amount

in Employer’s Use Amount (SEQ 0246, 0256, 0259, 0262, statement)

when corresponding Employer’s Use Code (SEQ 0242, 0252, 0257,

0260, statement) is “Q”.

Looks like just formatting changes, but it must have triggered whatever system the IRS uses to highlight it red (indicates changes.)

Also, while 1345-A is years out of date you can get the current reject codes in 1346. Here's a direct link. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/ty08_pub_13..._attch_1_11.pdf

Thanks for the update on the Pub #. I haven't used the pub in years since the software tells you what it is. Or at least some do. It would be nice if they had told me about the change. It's probably on their website that I never use, since it never seemed like I needed it. I should be more diligent.

FYI, TRX talked to TaxWise support who told us there was an article in their knowledgebase. Turns out that just said that you had to input the combat zone, which was already included.

Bill (at TRX) did suggest that I input the Q values with the cents part even though the s/w will round. I did that. One thing that I had noticed before was that line 64b of F1040 (where it brings in the combat pay) was red. After I entered the cents part, the red went away (not shown as estimate either time). I don't know if there was some kind of rounding issue in TaxWise that got transmitted to IRS. So, I'm not sure if that fixed the problem. I don't want to re-submit yet and possible generate a new rejection. Bill is still researching and I will see if he finds anything. If I don't hear from him, I'll resubmit Sunday or Monday.

Thanks again for your research. It very well could be that it's looking to the wrong field.