ATX Community

Distribution from HSA

Eli

Client received a combined tax statement for forms 1098, 1099, 5498. It was a distribution from an HSA account. I have never worked with one of these before. Do I need to use form 8889 for this? Anything else in specific I may need to look for?

Thank you!!

Eli

• 1 month later...

Can you give me a hand too? I have a cust making $130K told me that he just did the HSA $5800 contribution 2008 for his family. And, he provide me with amount $5800 along with EIN #, address. He said to me, there is no form from this HSA company where he made the contribution to, is it correct? If so, am I input form 8889 along with 1099-SA as well?

On #8889, should I input part I & II or only Part I? I try to input part I #2, but on 1040 didsn't show the deduction which the customer is looking for this $5800 deduction on 1040 line #25

On #1099-SA: I should input as gross dist. $5800 right? How about the code # on box 3, #1?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Mike

>>On #1099-SA: I should input as gross dist. $5800 right? How about the code # on box 3, #1?<<

Unless I am reading you wrong, you would not fill out 1099-SA. This form is for a distribution FROM the HSA.

You would only use part I for a contribution. Work through the worksheet carefully and it should come out at $5800 on line 25. AND check the box or boxes that apply.