ATX Community

state return - resident married to PY res

Kea

This is probably pretty basic, but I live in TX and don't do many state returns.

TP is resident of GA. In late April he got married and wife moved from TX to GA. I know how to split income and proportion everything for GA. But I'm not sure how to fill out the TaxWise main info sheet and PY res worksheet.

Spouse has W-2 from TX but has not started working in GA. She has interest on bank account that shows TX address, but she says they counted it as GA since she moved in 1st half of year.

Since there are 2 lines by Full Year Res, are they for TP and Spouse (respectively)? One person couldn't be a full-year resident of 2 states, could they? So I input GA on the left line and left the 2nd line blank.

For the 2 lines by the PY resident, I'm guessing now this is for the various PY states? Here I put TX / GA. Is this right?

On the PY worksheet, it splits the wages correctly between states, but not the interest. Do I override here or somewhere else?

On the Res / NR worksheet, it has Federal and Resident state = GA / ___ and all income is show in the TP and Spouse columns of this section. The non-resident sections are blank. I believe this might be correct.

Line 4 of the GA form 500 shows 1 (resident), but I have overridden to "3" per the GA instruction booklet. But do the lines for the dates of residency apply (they are no longer red after I change to "3")? TP and spouse have different dates.

Schedule III on page 6 of the Form 500 is including the interest in the non-GA income. I overwrote that field but it leaves the total on line 8. So I also have to overwrite line 8.

Pro-rated GA taxable income does not carry to line 15 of GA 500.

Under line 12 of this form TaxWise asks for the # of months if PY. Not sure what I need here.

I'm sure this is all very easy and I'm just missing something. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

This is probably pretty basic, but I live in TX and don't do many state returns.

TP is resident of GA. In late April he got married and wife moved from TX to GA. I know how to split income and proportion everything for GA. But I'm not sure how to fill out the TaxWise main info sheet and PY res worksheet.

Spouse has W-2 from TX but has not started working in GA. She has interest on bank account that shows TX address, but she says they counted it as GA since she moved in 1st half of year.

Since there are 2 lines by Full Year Res, are they for TP and Spouse (respectively)? One person couldn't be a full-year resident of 2 states, could they? So I input GA on the left line and left the 2nd line blank.

For the 2 lines by the PY resident, I'm guessing now this is for the various PY states? Here I put TX / GA. Is this right?

On the PY worksheet, it splits the wages correctly between states, but not the interest. Do I override here or somewhere else?

On the Res / NR worksheet, it has Federal and Resident state = GA / ___ and all income is show in the TP and Spouse columns of this section. The non-resident sections are blank. I believe this might be correct.

Line 4 of the GA form 500 shows 1 (resident), but I have overridden to "3" per the GA instruction booklet. But do the lines for the dates of residency apply (they are no longer red after I change to "3")? TP and spouse have different dates.

Schedule III on page 6 of the Form 500 is including the interest in the non-GA income. I overwrote that field but it leaves the total on line 8. So I also have to overwrite line 8.

Pro-rated GA taxable income does not carry to line 15 of GA 500.

Under line 12 of this form TaxWise asks for the # of months if PY. Not sure what I need here.

I'm sure this is all very easy and I'm just missing something. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I believe the two lines you are referring to are for Main Taxpayer and Spouse; in both full year and part year. The five lines for NR are for up to 5 different states. If tp has more than 5 states I dont know what you do--perhaps call TRX and hope you get someone who knows the software. You are in the same situation as in Florida. We have no state income tax but often have people from other states. Good luck on this. For PY youneed tofigure the number of days client lived in each state. A word of caution be sure that client will not want to file PY for a second year. That is only for the year in which the residency changes.

Thanks. I finally just did the GA return sort-of manually. The software pulled in some of the info correctly, but there were several places I had to do an override. Word of caution for GA returns. Even when you fill out Schedule III to calculate the GA taxable income, the software does not carry it back to page 2 line 15.

There might be an easier way to get the software to calculate all this correctly, but I found it easier to just override where it was wrong.

I just sent the e-file. I hope it is accepted!

Since you are in FL, I imagine you get more GA returns than I do. I usually only get 1 or 2. I also do about 3 or 4 for CA. One of them is self-employed. I had so much fun in ATX when she moved from TX. The depreciation is done differently than the Federal. ATX handled pretty well, but I had a long learning curve checking it.