ATX Community

Rejection error....dependent

Denne

I just got a rejection and it indicates that one of the childdren was claimed on another return. This couple has three previous marriages and three children in question...as to who might be claimed on another return. Is there a way to find out what child or children were claimed on someone elses return? Our other option is to do a paper filing. They are entitled to claim all of the children they have listed on this return...according to what they are telling me anyway?? I would appreciate your opinions and perhaps any solutions you have discovered, to resolve this matter.....

Thanks!!

If they give you something with the reject code that is 'seq 175' or 'SEQ 175' it tells you which child it is. First dependent listed on the return is 175, second is 185, third is 195. (These are field sequence codes in pub. 1345A) If someone else has claimed one of the children and they are entitled to claim them all, they will have to mail the return.

If they give you something with the reject code that is 'seq 175' or 'SEQ 175' it tells you which child it is. First dependent listed on the return is 175, second is 185, third is 195. (These are field sequence codes in pub. 1345A) If someone else has claimed one of the children and they are entitled to claim them all, they will have to mail the return.

Thanks so much. They say you learn something every day. I just learned what the SEQ means on the messages. Thanks again!

Pub 1345A has a picture of each form with the field sequence numbers marked. I keep a copy of all the common ones right beside my computer for easy reference. (1040, W-2, 1099R)

The occurrence number indicates which form (if there are multiples like W-2, 1099, etc).

The sequence number will show exactly which field is causing the reject.

Also, be sure to check all the errors. I often miss that one and end up with a second reject.