ATX Community

Virginia Non-Resident

RitaB

Client is resident of TN. Performed work in Virginia for employer in KY.

Is the income Virginia source income? I think so. Client is not happy. I hope I'm wrong.

I am looking at page 4 of the directions for the non-resident return. The work was performed in VA, so that's VA source income, right?

Yep, its Virginia income, so he needs a non-resident return.

I thought so. He's gonna flip out. Made a big point of telling me how he "straightened out" his employer's payroll department. They were correctly taking out VA tax for two months, then he raked some poor clerk over the coals and has a second W-2 for the rest of the year with no VA withholdings. Owes em $2500.

I just wanted some reassurance. I e-mailed VA Dept of Revenue so I would have more than the directions to show him. They haven't responded. Boy, do I dread calling him.

Thanks!

Check page 5 of the Virginia book concerning Kentucky Residents. my fault, I thought tp was ky resident, However being a TN resident makes his Va income subject to tax in Va.

Thanks for the reply. I was soooo dreading telling him he owed tax. I was pleasantly surprised when I spoke to the wife, (he was in VA working, after all). Anyway, wife was so sweet. Said she knew that was gonna happen, and she would tell him to go back to the payroll clerk, beg for forgiveness, and ask her to withhold VA income tax.