ATX Community

Business closure

J R Sandoval EA

You could begin with Form 4797. If using ATX, go to the Asset Entry tab and click on the bottom tab Dispostions or Bulk Dispositions. One of the options is Sale/Abandonment which the client is doing. Because it was fully depreciated, the basis is 0 so there is no contribution deduction and no sale value. If input properly, all the information flows nicely. Check to see if there might be any 179 recapture, though.

Client lost his only janitorial account and closed his business last year; he had some equipment (fully depreciated) that he donated to a school and two vehicles also fully depreciated that he kept. Can any one tell me where to find in depth information to properly report this asset disposition?

Thanks

My question is..... Do you have to report this?? I have never really encountered this. Off the top of my head, I cant think of a reason you would have to.

(But, the top of my head might be a bit murky this time of the year.)

Client lost his only janitorial account and closed his business last year

Don't you think that the answer you get here would depend upon you telling us if this is a proprietorship, partnership, S-corp, or C-corp entity? How it is treated may depend upon the type of business.