ATX Community

In-Home Nursing Deductibe?

Janitor Bob

My client is an elderly lady who required in-home skilled nursing vists throughout the year fo which she paid over $21,000.00 not reimbursed by any medical insurance. Is this deductible like any other allowable medical expense?

Hi JB. Yes, home nursing care is deductible same as if in hospital or in a nursing home.

Gene

Hi JB. Glad you're back. I hope you are doing well and look forward to more of your posts.

taxbilly

Thanks....It is nice to stop in every once in a while...I have purposely taken several months off from doing personal income taxes (although still many business returns to work on at my full-time job)....just working on one last extenion-filed return for an elderly client. The regs are prety clear that it is deductible, but after many months of not thinking about personal taxes...It is nice to bounce things off of some fellow preparers. I hope things are nice down there in Florida...it has been dry, but now very pleasant here in Ohio. After this return you guys may not see me for a few more months....but then I'll be back as a regular on the board!

>>home nursing care is deductible same as if in hospital<<

Generally so, but you can't assume that a "skilled nursing visit" was entirely medical. In a hospital, personal care services such as feeding, bathing, and dressing are considered deductible medical expenses. In a private home they are not.

>>home nursing care is deductible same as if in hospital<<

Generally so, but you can't assume that a "skilled nursing visit" was entirely medical. In a hospital, personal care services such as feeding, bathing, and dressing are considered deductible medical expenses. In a private home they are not.

According to Kleinrock 1040 Express Answers page 2-7 under nursing services, it states that services need not be performed by a nurse as long as they are services generally performed by a nurse - such as giving medicine or changing bandages - OR if they are services connected with a disability, such as bathing a patient. It goes on to say that if an attendant also provides household services such as cleaning or cooking, the wages and taxes paid for time spent on these tasks will have to be calculated.

Gene

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gene,

I am from Sebastian/Vero Beach Florida. I did move up to NE Georiga but will always be a Florida Girl! See you around.

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Looks like we are next door neighbors in a broad sense of the term. I did attend school in the 9th grade in Augusta, GA and the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade in Columbus, GA.

Gene