ATX Community

CT Preparers

Lion EA

What do other CT preparers do when you have a client who will not e-file? Do you write up something for them to sign? Does your software have a form? Do they mail it in with the return? Do you keep it like you do Forms 8879? Have you had any correspondence from CT re not e-filing? (This is only my second year out on my own after being under the umbrella of a corporation, so it's the first year I "qualify" to e-file ALL returns.) I have a client picking up this week who must mail their returns. What do I need to do to CYA?

This was on the state website http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?A=1512&Q=293638

(2) Upon written request for waiver by any return preparer described in subparagraph (B) of subdivision (2) of subsection (B) of this section and preparing Connecticut tax returns for a particular tax on behalf of clients, the Department shall grant the return preparer a 12-month waiver of the requirements of this section if the return preparer is able to establish, to the satisfaction of the Department, no feasible means of filing the Connecticut tax returns electronically without undue hardship. If the Department grants the waiver to the return preparer, the clients of the return preparer may file signed paper Connecticut tax returns for the 12-month period and shall not be required to make a written request for waiver under subdivision (1) of this subsection. If a client of a return preparer instructs the return preparer not to file the client’s Connecticut tax return electronically, the return preparer shall not be required to file such return electronically but shall be required to advise the client that the client is required to make a written request for waiver under subdivision (1) of this subsection.

Thank you. I thought I read everything on their site. But, I was skimming things re preparers. I file electronically. I encourage it of my clients. But, I have a couple that will not, and they pick up this week. Still want to cover myself, something on paper that client instructed me that I can keep in my files, as well as for them to mail in as their "written request." Guess I'll just make it short and sweet, a sentence...

Well, my very fancy, very pricey, ProSystem fx does NOT have an opt-out form for CT. Has one for NY. The best they could suggest is a "footnote" so it prints right after the CT return. I used the wording TaxPerson gave, the ending of that paragraph, for the client to sign and mail in with their return and to sign a copy for me to keep. I also put in a suggestion at Pro fx!