ATX Community

Taxpayer's Spouse died in 2007 - not reported on 1040

jasdlm

This is my first year to do this client's return. His spouse died 12/25/2007. From what I can tell from the paper copy of the return, the death was not reported in 2007 (does not show across top or on signature line). Taxpayer has a disabled child who lives with him, so qualifies for QW filing status. Do I need to put spouse's name/SSN on return and report date of death, or can I file as is without problem?

Thanks.

This is my first year to do this client's return. His spouse died 12/25/2007. From what I can tell from the paper copy of the return, the death was not reported in 2007 (does not show across top or on signature line). Taxpayer has a disabled child who lives with him, so qualifies for QW filing status. Do I need to put spouse's name/SSN on return and report date of death, or can I file as is without problem?

Thanks.

I think you'd be ok to do the 2008 as if 2007 were correct, but -

My completely unresearched opinion (since 2007 was done incorrectly, I doubt this scenario is covered anywhere) is yes, put spouse name, SSN, and DOD across top of 1040 (nowhere else) wouldn't hurt (would it?).

Sorry, I'm no help here, I know. Maybe someone has experience with this.

The date of death for the deceased spouse should already be on record at the IRS anyway.

No kiddin? I thought that's why we're supposed to enter deceased and the date at the top of the page. Who knew?

Now if only they knew people's basis in stock sales... These Wal-Mart sales are gettin to me!!