ATX Community

NT- Computer Question

JohnH

I'd like to pose a question for the computer whizzes on this forum. There's been lots of publicity about the computer virus/worm that may spring up on Apr 1 and nobody really knows how bad it may or may not be.

So as a temporary measure, I'm wondering what would happen if I reset my computer calendar to March 30 before I leave tonight (I turn it off each night). Then when I start up on Apr 1, it should think it's March 31 and even if it's infected the computer should still work fine. That would allow a whole day to see how others are being affected before resetting the calendar to the correct day (or maybe doing the same thing again the next day as well, if things are really bad)

Good idea, bad idea, silly idea? Any suggestions on this?

So as a temporary measure, I'm wondering what would happen if I reset my computer calendar to March 30 before I leave tonight (I turn it off each night). Then when I start up on Apr 1, it should think it's March 31 and even if it's infected the computer should still work fine. That would allow a whole day to see how others are being affected before resetting the calendar to the correct day (or maybe doing the same thing again the next day as well, if things are really bad)

Good idea, bad idea, silly idea? Any suggestions on this?

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/132464

What won't work? Turning your PC off tonight and back on on April 2 will not protect you from the worm (sorry to the dozens of people who wrote me asking if this would do the trick). Temporarily disconnecting your computer from the web won't help if the malware is already on your machine -- it will simply activate once you connect again. Changing the date on your PC will likely have no helpful effect, either.

This came from an article on Yahoo.

Eli