ATX Community

Any NY preparers: Need help with tuition item dedct

schirallicpa

I have a client that moved to NY mid-yr. Had Michigan income and NY income. Cut and dry - only earned NY income as a NY'er.

Client has high itemized deducts on Fed return and can qualifiy for tuition deduction on NY IT-203B. But the instructions are lame, and I'm CONFUSED!!

The way I've got it filled out, he's getting the entire deduction. Is he supposed to get a portion of the deduction based on the percentage of wage. It looks like as long as all NY income was earned in NY, he's getting it all. But..... the instructions elude to Fed income, and whether all of the Fed income was earned as a NYer.

Just plain Help, please.

Not sure if I have enough info to answer, but NY offers either a credit OR an itemized deduction.

The credit is only available to individauls who were full year residents, so I think your client will not qualify for the credit.

The itemized deduction is available to part year residents. Goto form IT-272 and at the end click itemized deuction.