ATX Community

Form 8885 Heath Coverage Tax Credit

taxguy057

Got a client who pays her own health insurance because she's paid with a 1099 MISC for company she works for. I read the Form 8885 front page and it seems like she qualifies for the credit, but then it says attach forms listed on page 4 or credit will be disallowed, but I dont see a page 4. Has anyone done one of these before? What do i do if even allowed to take credit? :unsure:

This is from the instructions to the form: Not sure what your client does, but it sounds like eligibiity is pretty narrowly defined.

Who Can Take This Credit

You can take this credit only if (a) you were an eligible trade

adjustment assistance (TAA) recipient, alternative TAA (ATAA)

recipient, or Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC)

pension recipient in 2008, (B) you cannot be claimed as a

dependent on someone else’s 2008 tax return, and © you

met all of the other conditions listed on line 1. If you cannot be

claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2008 tax return,

complete Form 8885, Part I, to see if you are eligible to take

this credit.

Are you deducting her premiums under SE health insurance?

I absolutely did not put that winking sunglasses thing in there (or I didn't do it intentionally, anyway).

only place i knew to put was under sch A in medical expense. Is there separate form for SE insurance prem? Where does that go. Sorry 1st time with client who pays all their own ins and SE. :( (Now my smiley or frowny in this case was intentional!) lol!

only place i knew to put was under sch A in medical expense. Is there separate form for SE insurance prem? Where does that go. Sorry 1st time with client who pays all their own ins and SE. :( (Now my smiley or frowny in this case was intentional!) lol!

Page 1 of 1040 - line 29 - click on the "bunny".

Page 1 of 1040 - line 29 - click on the "bunny".

@MDCPA

Thanks for the help! Got one more question if you dont mind...I put the vehicle info she uses in her business on the schedule c but the asset entry tab came up so i entered it there also. Now when I do my check scan an info warning comes up sayin i have it listed in both sch c and asset entry. What have I done wrong if anything and just to make matters more complicated it has switched her from owing 3800 to getting a refund of 800+ with EIC and 8812 credits and she made close to threshold amt with her biz.(32,241).. Just seemed funny. The only thing i see is that the vehicle expense is high and i think its double dipping since the double entry on sch c and asset entry.... u think???

Hey there-

Yes, you are right. You are double dipping on the mileage. If form 4562 won't be filed, input info on sch c line 9 by using the bunny. If 4562 required, use asset entry. One or the other, not both.

Julie

@Julie

Thx! It just seems like the craziest returns come now at crunch time and all gets confusing b/c ur trying to rush things through... There's light at the end of the tunnel...just hope its not a train!! :spaz: