ATX Community

Form 990-N

Diane

I have a small non-profit that has less than $25,000 in gross receipts. But, he wants to file the longer 990 form so that they have something on record and in their files. I'm assuming that this can be done. Am I assuming correctly?

Diane

I have a small non-profit that has less than $25,000 in gross receipts. But, he wants to file the longer 990 form so that they have something on record and in their files. I'm assuming that this can be done. Am I assuming correctly?

Diane

Don't see why not. But try the 990-EZ first. Lots of times smaller groups with hopes/dreams of growing bigger want the schedules of donors etc on file because as they grow they need those records -- and if it's not on the tax forms, it's usually near-impossible to dredge out of history. A friend who does lots of non-profits was telling me about this just a couple evenings ago on the phone. Don't remember as much as I should because it was late and I was tired at the time.

Catherine