ATX Community

Estate Return

joans

Hi all. Something new for me. Clients husband died in April 2009. State (WI) is looking for paperwork to set up estate return. Never have done an initial estate return so how do I begin to proceed on this? Any help would be very much appreciated. Do I start with a 1041?

Sara

Hi all. Something new for me. Clients husband died in April 2009. State (WI) is looking for paperwork to set up estate return. Never have done an initial estate return so how do I begin to proceed on this? Any help would be very much appreciated. Do I start with a 1041?

Sara

This is the blind leading the blind. "Both inheritance and gift taxes for WI were completely phased out as of 1992. WI Estate Tax has now replaced the former inheritance tax. The WI Estate Tax is based on a percentage of Federal Estate Tax for estates exceeding $675,000. Refer to WI Form W-706." Page 41, Wisconsin Tax Guide. The next paragraph states that: Wisconsin Estate Tax Expired January 1, 2008

Do you want me to fax you the page?

>>State (WI) is looking for paperwork to set up estate return.<<

I don't exactly understand this sentence, but it makes me mighty uncomfortable. If the government came down on this family within just a few weeks of the death, something important is going on.

Sara

Verify with estate attorney that formal estate proceedings will be required, & if so, will he/she obtain EIN or will you. Attorney/taxpayer/you should notify all banks & brokers & etc of decedent's death and EIN of estate. 1041 is correct return, you may also need 706 and/or 709. Good luck!

Zeke

This is the blind leading the blind. "Both inheritance and gift taxes for WI were completely phased out as of 1992. WI Estate Tax has now replaced the former inheritance tax. The WI Estate Tax is based on a percentage of Federal Estate Tax for estates exceeding $675,000. Refer to WI Form W-706." Page 41, Wisconsin Tax Guide. The next paragraph states that: Wisconsin Estate Tax Expired January 1, 2008

Do you want me to fax you the page?

Marilyn,

If you could, I would really appreciate it. 715-848-0818. Any help would be great. Blind is willing to accept from the blind:)

Sara