ATX Community

Vehicle expenses problems

Catherine

This is an ATX problem rather than a "how do I handle this" problem. And it's affecting two clients.

In each case, there are _two_ business-use only vehicles. One client had a leased vehicle where the lease expired, then he converted a personal-use car to the business. The other client had a business clunker that got sold for just about nothing (what it was worth, too) and replaced with a small pickup. I have purchase price, sale price, dates, mileage, registration fees, etc. -- all the numbers. Both clients have plenty of profit on their Sch C's to offset car expenses.

And in both cases, ATX is coming up with completely unsupportable, _weird_ numbers for the vehicle expenses that are lower than either vehicle's expenses individually.

Has anyone else seen this and fixed it? Or do I just go straight to tech support on this one?

Thanks to all. I was _hoping_ to get these two returns done before I head to Idaho on a one-week bike trip this Saturday, but it's not looking good for that ambition. I may just send the returns off to tech support and let them chew on them for a week.

Catherine

>>unsupportable, _weird_ numbers<<

Nice hook. Well, I couldn't resist it at least.

Unsupportable, weird numbers almost always means it's time to get out my Quickfinder Depreciation Handbook. You've got several different ways you have to handle basis in your garages. Any chance you gave ATX the impression one car was related to another? What about that "luxury car" pickup? Work through each number on the depreciation schedule, weird or not, and manually VERIFY its accuracy. The answer will pop right out--fifteen minutes, tops!

>>unsupportable, _weird_ numbers<<

Nice hook. Well, I couldn't resist it at least.

Unsupportable, weird numbers almost always means it's time to get out my Quickfinder Depreciation Handbook. You've got several different ways you have to handle basis in your garages. Any chance you gave ATX the impression one car was related to another? What about that "luxury car" pickup? Work through each number on the depreciation schedule, weird or not, and manually VERIFY its accuracy. The answer will pop right out--fifteen minutes, tops!

Unsupportable, weird numbers, _internally_ -- rather than anything the clients gave me!! :lol:

No chance ATX is confusing vehicles. There's a lease, conversions to and from personal (different clients), a purchase, another purchase. All separate entities, listed. None of the weird numbers match any of the separate depreciation (or any other!) figures -- they are literally pulled from nowhere I can find, and way too low.

Both of these returns had other oddball glitches, too. Forms that would not auto-fill from others, that had to be deleted and then re-added. So I think there's a problem internally.

Guess I'll ship them to tech support later today and have them work on 'em while I'm away.

Thanks.

Catherine

I would at the minimum determine what the correct amounts are. There's worksheets for vehicle trade in basis and depreciation tables in quickfinder, thetaxbook, etc. This also gives you the benefit that you can verify what tech support comes up with as a conclusion actually has the correct deduction amounts.