ATX Community

ATX and Depreciation Recapture

Tax Bird

Does anyone know how ATX handles depreciation recapture?

I have a S-Corp vehicle that fell below 50% use this year and it looks like for depreciation ATX is showing the current depr (at the Bus use %) less the recaptured amount.

Is this correct?

Does anyone have experience with this and could walk me through? I'm so slow!

It sounds correct, as far as recapture goes, but like Roy, I don't understand how an S corp asset falls bellow the use limit. If the shareholder is using the car for personal use, that's a W-2 addition, for the business. The asset is still 100% business. It's no different than any corp allowing an employee to use a company car personally. You just need to treat it as additional compensation.

It sounds correct, as far as recapture goes, but like Roy, I don't understand how an S corp asset falls bellow the use limit. If the shareholder is using the car for personal use, that's a W-2 addition, for the business. The asset is still 100% business. It's no different than any corp allowing an employee to use a company car personally. You just need to treat it as additional compensation.

Crap! Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Any tips on how to figure the taxable value?

(I am so screwed!)

Crap! Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Any tips on how to figure the taxable value?

(I am so screwed!)

IRS has a lease value chart - starts with the FMV of the vehicle when purchased - vehicles valued over $50,000 are calculated differently. Determine personal use % x the lease value and add in cents per mile for personal use.

Lynn Jacobs, EA

Kenner, LA

IRS has a lease value chart - starts with the FMV of the vehicle when purchased - vehicles valued over $50,000 are calculated differently. Determine personal use % x the lease value and add in cents per mile for personal use.

Lynn Jacobs, EA

Kenner, LA

Thank you!