ATX Community

Notice of Deficiency

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I'm just checking on the proper response. I received Notices of Deficiency today for 2004-2006 as a POA for my clients. They had not filed any returns since 2003 for various reasons, (including the wife had a stroke and they moved out of state and misplaced everything). The husband did send a response finally to the IRS on July 20 and I received the last W2 today. I just finished everything through 2008. The IRS filed substitute returns with a total due of $50,000. They only owe $1,500. I called the office on the deficiency notice and asked about filing a tax court petition and she told me that I had 90 days to send in the actual returns and that the tax court petition was not necessary. Am I reading this wrong? It looks like the tax court petition should be filed and send the returns anyway. I have to overnight this to the client tomorrow to sign, but I want to make sure that we are not going to get nailed by not filing the petition. I just don't trust the oral advice from the IRS. Thanks!

Bonnie

You may not need to file the petition, but get it ready and file it timely if you do not get this cleared up BEFORE the filing deadline. Odds are good if the process just started that you can get it sorted out without actually filing the petition, but if you are within 45 days of the deadline you can not expect to get it 'fixed' in time, so should file anyway. But if you are just at the start of the 90 days, by all means try to work with them now. Just don't trust them to keep to any 'promise' made by someone on the phone, to the point that you miss the deadline.

I know you know this, but just as a reminder - the only way to go to tax court without paying the tax up front is to file the petition within the statutory period. It is hard and fast. Your client (even though it is not your fault they are in this mess) will not be happy if they have to cough up 50K before they can go to court. Protect yourself and make sure you file the petition a week before the due date CERTIFIED RETURN RECEIPT.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Actually, writing a tax court petition is the part of my job I love the most. I have only done it 3 times, but I love doing the research. When you know for certain you are absolutely correct in your application of the tax law, and you write it out with all the code sections, regulations, case law, and rev. rulings that support your position, there is a great feeling of accomplishment.

BTW, the client won on all three. Beating the IRS is fun.

Tom

Lodi, CA