ATX Community

Faxing Form 8879 abroad/how many options to do it?

Lucho

The only way of faxing I know is by introducing the copy to fax machine, dial the recipient's fax # and press enter/send.

For this form in question, filer is in the USA and husband in Asia. Wife tells me that she can scan the form and fax it through E-male to her husband; husband will do the same and fax back the form through E-male. I kind underatand there is no fax equipment in the area where husband is at this time.

If these were possible and forms come back, would IRS accept them. This is my first time dealing with this situation.

thank you and have a blessed Sunday.

You can attach as a .pdf file to an email and email to one spouse to print, sign, scan, and email to second spouse who can repeat and email it back to you. Or, use fax for any of those legs. As far as I know, faxed and other electronically sent signatures are fine. If you have any worries, have the final spouse follow up by mailing you the original document to replace the faxed document in your files.

Sometimes faxes and e-mails can get combined. For example, my incoming faxes go directly to my e-mail. I still have a fax phone # and people send faxes the way they normally would. But they don't come to a machine in my office. They get transferred to a .pdf file and show up in my in-box.

There are similar processes for out-going faxes, but I haven't used those.