ATX Community

moving 2007 TRX to new computer

Kea

I'm trying to move my 2007 TRX Intellitax program and files from a Vista computer to a Win 7 one. I've installed the software, but cannot do the initial TRANSMIT to send them my computer info (or for whatever reason they require it). It is giving me an error message about my internet connection (which is working fine). I tried to do a backup (old computer) and restore (new computer) but it tells me that the file was created on a newer version of the software. No, I can't seem to update the program, either. It doesn't give me an error message - it just doesn't seem to do anything. I then backed up the updates from the old computer, but I can't get the new computer to load them.

I tried copying files from the 2 TRX\2007 folders (one at the C:\ level and one within the Program Files folder. That didn't work either.

Is there an easier way to do this or at least another way? Moving 1999 - 2006 ATX files were very easy -- just install software, tell it to run in XP mode and in Administrator mode, then move the Database Folder. (OK, 1998 ATX was more complicated and involved moving some .ini and .ocx files. But I ran into that moving to XP and Vista.)

Now to see if I can move 2008 TRX Taxwise.

Thanks!

Intellitax /OrrTax was purchased by CCH and the software immediately discontinued. Intellitax as a company doesn't exist any more, and neither does their internet server. The old URL www.intellitax.com now points to a CCH page telling you why you should convert to TaxWise for 2008. So you won't be able to upload or download anything to the internet addresses that are hard coded into the Intellitax program - they don't exist anymore.

What I personally did was convert all my 2007 Intellitax returns to TaxWise, both as an opportunity to learn TaxWise and as a way to facilitate possible amendments. (I had less than 100 returns, so this was feasible.) I found several that had different bottom lines on Intellitax and TaxWise, due to deficiencies in both programs. I still have Intellitax 2007 available on an old Windows 2000 computer in the basement, but have deleted it from my main computer and laptop.

Thanks so much Don. I knew Orrtax / Intellitax no longer existed, so I figured looking for instructions online would be rather futile. I didn't consider it affecting the original "transmit" but it makes sense. I have the ATX CD they sent me (trying to convince me to stay with them), so I might try re-entering them in ATX. But I did about 100 returns that year, so it could take a while. It would be educational to see the differences.

I don't really want to keep the software on that computer because I planning to pass it to my husband (his PC is on its last bits). And my Vista machine is having issues that I think a good reformatting will take care of. It got too slow for me and with too many "windows not responding" messages. But it will work fine for what he does.

Thanks again.

Before IntelliTax was bought out they did have the "archive" version of their 2007 and older software available. The archive versions did not require activation through transmission. So if you could find a copy of that, you would be set. I'm really shocked that TRX did not keep a copy of it for this exact situation. CCH I understand didn't want anything to do with it at all, but TRX could have taken care of their customers by keeping the archive version for prior years of the very software they sold.

If you still have a working 2007 install, I remember there being a work around they had me do once. Something about exporting the system config and then importing it onto the new machine. If done in the right order it would negate the need to transmit for activation. You would still need some way to install the updates. I think they are stored somewhere on the hard drive so you could probably find and copy them to the new machine.

I have the system config and I followed their instructions for exporting the update history. But I haven't been able to import the history to new program. I've now moved several files from the old to the new and I did get into the program without the Transmit message (not sure if it will be back but it sounds like it won't). I'm pretty sure they didn't mail me an archive disk.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll probably play with it again tomorrow, or at least this week.

• 1 month later...

May be a little off topic, but I'm almost in the same boat. My problem is, due to a recent move [home& office] I cannot find any of my Intellitax Window's cd & I desperately need to move 2003-2007 to my new computer. I've heard that there may be a way to it without the disk, has anyone heard of this process? If not, is there anywhere to find a copy of these old program cd's. I’ve searched ebay, amazon, bing, google and anything else I could think of with no luck. Is there anyone out there willing to make a buck or two selling me copies of these programs? Please advise.

• 1 year later...