ATX Community

Schedule M and 2555EZ

Margaret CPA in OH

I was surprised to read in the Sch M instructions that people filing 2555 and 2555EZ were also entitled to the Making Work Pay credit. However, I don't think the flow through is happening. At least not in my program and, yes, I have updated. Any insights or comments? Foolishly I called tech nonsupport and gave up after only 20 minutes thinking this may be a tax issue despite my reading of Sch M.

I am inclined to think it is a pain for everyone because it doesn't want to let you put in the info required without over-riding and doesn't make a lot of sense. I have a client who receives a small pension from the VA. I had to override to put that in. I had an IRS email concerning the Schedule M, thought I had printed it out but can't find it. My impression was that everyone is having trouble. MM

going to try to paste the IRS alert. Don't know if it will work. Subject: Instructions for Completing Form 1040 Schedule M

We have received numerous e-file returns in which the Form 1040, Schedule M was completed incorrectly causing high fallout to the Error Resolution System (ERS). E-file returns that fallout to ERS may cause a delay in the processing for 2 to 3 weeks. The YES and NO boxes should be checked per the Schedule M line instructions. If the NO box is checked on line 10 or line 11 of the Schedule M, please do not enter an amount on either line.

On a joint return, if both spouses received an economic recovery payment in 2009, check the YES box and enter $500 on line 10 of the Schedule M. Then, if both spouses received a government pension or annuity in 2009, check the YES box and enter -0- on line 11.

On a joint return, if only one spouse received an economic recovery payment in 2009, check the YES box and enter $250 on line 10 of the Schedule M. Then, if the other spouse received a government pension or annuity in 2009, check the YES box and enter $250 on line 11.

On other than a joint return, if the taxpayer received an economic recovery payment in 2009, check the YES box and enter $250 on line 10 of the Schedule M. Then, if the taxpayer also received a government pension or annuity in 2009, check the YES box and enter -0- on line 11.

Thank you for subscribing to Quick Alerts for Tax Professionals, an IRS e-mail service.

Thanks, I recall reading that as I am on all the IRS email thingys. However, that isn't my exact problem. If I follow the instructions, it appears as though the foreign earned income qualifies and it says to put the amount from ln 18 of 2555EZ on ln 5 of Sch M. But it doesn't. When I follow all the bunny hops I get nowhere and the worksheets don't seem to support this particular situation. Guess we will paper file...