ATX Community

S-corp final return

Catherine

Have an S-corp that folded, still owing a few pretty pennies to the shareholders. How do I deal with those? Too tired to think right now.

Thanks all, and I think it's time to go to sleep. Snow overnight so I'll have to shovel before the first client shows up at 8:30. And if I get shoveled out that client will, of course, cancel.

Catherine

The loss is not at the corporate level, it is at the shareholder level. The shareholder had $XXX due to him from the corporation. The shareholder also had $XXX invested in the corportation. The capital loss is then determined and taken on the shareholder's return.

Maribeth

So there is no specific documentation due to the shareholders from the corporation?

K-1 basis tab should document this if you've been keeping up the basis calculation year-to-year. It doesn't have to be provided to the SH but I'd keep it in order to document the Sch D loss. Otherwise, I would agree with maribeth that its an off-the-record calculation and just keep notes on why you did what you did.

Julie