ATX Community

Both spouses have 1099-SA

Ray in Ohio

Both spouses have distributions from their HSA. Each got a 1099SA. On Form 8889 Part II it states that if filing jointly and both spouses have HSA distributions to fill out a separate Part II for each spouse.

Well I have been trying to figure out where that separate part II is. I have opened a separate Form 8889 but there is no way of marking the second one as the spouse's 8889. On the 8889 worksheet there are two columns. If I enter the spouses info on the second column, it automatically reduces the amount on the first column.

What am I missing?

(or have I finally lost "it" totally?) :wacko:

You will have to open two 8889 forms. On worksheet 1 on the first form make sure the box at the top is checked for the taxpayer. On the second form, make sure the spouse box is checked. Doing so will populate the form with the spouse's information. Also, the form with the taxpayer checked will populate the form with the tax payer's information.

BTW the instructions refer to Part I

Good Luck!

I spent at least 20 minutes trying to figure it out too. And to make things worse.... that was just after I had gotten about 30 efile rejects for that stupid third party designee box. I had to fix and re-create and transmitt all those files. Then the very next file I work on I spent all that time trying to find that frikken little box to check.

Lets just say I wasn't in the greatest mood last evening.

But its all better today now, and tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!