ATX Community

Multiple state W2 and eFiling

LouD

Client has one employer with one W2, but has withholding for the 13 different states that he works in during the year and his employer breaks out the income for each state.

I'm having trouble with a couple states (MD, NY & IL) rejecting the state only eFile with the reject code stating the W2 state withholding amount doesn't match the state tax return withholding total. From what I've entered on the W2 which then flows to the state retur - the numbers match exactly, so not sure why I'm getting the error codes.

I figure it has something to do with the way I've entered the W2 information in ATX and I wanted to see if anyone out there had a client similar to mine and were they able to successfully eFile various states. Each W2 screen allows 4 different states and 4 differnet localities, but since I have 13 states, I've added 3 new "payee" screens with the same employer - no numbers in the wages boxes at the top, just the new state wage and withholding info at the bottom in order to get the withholding amounts entered and flowing to the various states.

I figured I would try the forum first before calling tech support and waiting on hold.....

Does the client earn more than the threshold requiring filing in all thirteen states? If so, I only know how to do that in Lacerte -- but greatly would appreciate if and how you get it to work in ATX.

If, however, there are juridictions with under-threshold income, just pick up the withholding(s) on Schedule A, and walk away from amounts not worth the cost of recovering.

VTY, Tax CPANY