ATX Community

Basis step-up Question

artp

H & W owned several farm parcels In IL (not a community property state) which were inherited by their 3 children. H died in 1982. W died in 2000. In 1982 per H’s will 50% interest in parcel A was transferred to his son, the other 50% went into a trust with an income only benefit to W for her life and remainder interest to each of the children as 1/3 undivided interest in the land. Trust held title to the land until W died and the children inherited. While the parcel was in the trust the children could not sell, convey, encumber or do anything with the land until M passed.

Question 1. At what time does the step-up in basis occur? In 1982 when title passed to the trust or 2000 when effective ownership was passed to the children?

Also in 1982 per H’s will 50% interest in parcel B went directly to W with the other 50% going into the same trust as above with the same provisions. On W’s death in 2000 her 50% went to the children.

Question2. At what time does the step-up in basis occur for parcel B?

For the 50% interest that went into the trust-1982 or 2000?

For the 50% interest that went to W and then to the children 2000 ?

My take for question 1 is that the step-up occurred in 1982 since title transferred at that time from H to the trust. A step-up happens at the decedent’s date of death even though the children do not have effective control of the property until W passes.

Same answer for question 2 for the 50% that went into the trust. The other 50% that was inherited from W would get a step-up in 2000.

The two daughters sold their interest in both parcels to their brother in 2009. So it would appear that they would have the following:

For parcel A basis from 1982 for their share of the 50% from via the trust

For parcel B basis from 1982 for their share of the 50% interest via the trust; from 2000 for their share of the 50% interest from W

Do you agree? Anything that I am missing here?

OldJack,

Just want to clarify my understanding of your response. Are you saying there is no separate step-up for the portion of the property that passed from W to the children when she passed away in 2000?

the 50% of parcel B that went to W, would get another step up in 2000 when W passed

>>Trust held title to the land until W died and the children inherited<<

The trust received a step-up at creation with the children as remainder beneficiaries. Thus, it appears to me that the children inherited with the trust tax step-up basis and would not get another step-up for distribution after W died.

>>Trust held title to the land until W died and the children inherited<<

The trust received a step-up at creation with the children as remainder beneficiaries. Thus, it appears to me that the children inherited with the trust tax step-up basis and would not get another step-up for distribution after W died.

I guess I did not clearly state the facts. I am talking about the 50% interest that W had in her name when H died in 1982. That 50% went to the children from W at her death in 2000. That is where the 2nd step-up issue came from.

the 50% of parcel B that went to W, would get another step up in 2000 when W passed

Thanks for your replies. In the heat of tax season the brain cells sometimes get overloaded and I need some feedback from the people on this board.

>> the other 50% went into a trust with an income only benefit to W for her life and remainder interest to each of the children as 1/3 undivided interest in the land<<

This is the 50% I am talking about. This trust got a step-up at creation and it is not in W's estate to pass to anyone with a step-up. W only has an income benefit.

>>is there something I am missing in your response? <<

My response was missing almost everything. Why are you asking this question? It kind of sounds like you are saying W's share of property B was designated for the kids by action of the 1982 will and/or trust, rather than W's 2000 will. If not, why would there still be unresolved questions so many years later?

The original posting was confusing to me, so I chose not to answer. Now, I *think* was OP is saying is that husband's 50% ownership when into the trust where the wife had the right to income from his share during her lifetime, and she (wife) retained her own 50% ownership outside the trust.

In that scenario, wouldn't the husband's 50% get the stepped up basis at the time contributed to the trust in 1982. Then the 50% ownership of wife outside the trust gets stepped up at her death. If that is the case, shouldn't the children's basis in 100% of the property be this: 50% coming from the trust at the 1982 value and the 50% coming from mom at the 2000 value?

The original posting was confusing to me, so I chose not to answer. Now, I *think* was OP is saying is that husband's 50% ownership when into the trust where the wife had the right to income from his share during her lifetime, and she (wife) retained her own 50% ownership outside the trust.

In that scenario, wouldn't the husband's 50% get the stepped up basis at the time contributed to the trust in 1982. Then the 50% ownership of wife outside the trust gets stepped up at her death. If that is the case, shouldn't the children's basis in 100% of the property be this: 50% coming from the trust at the 1982 value and the 50% coming from mom at the 2000 value?

Yes, that is what I was trying to convey in my original post.

>>that is what I was trying to convey in my original post<<

And is that what the decedent was trying to convey in his 1982 will? Apparently this scenario was not as complicated as I thought. Unwilling as always to give in to raw simplicity, I will only say now that the half of property B that went in to the trust might yet be included in the taxable estate of W and thereby receive a step up, if for example, she had been deemed an owner or contributed to the purchase in the past.