ATX Community

I am stuck with a State efile only.....

Denne

I have a disabled client on social security and just a few dollars of interest income. She will have a Homestead Property tax credit through the state. I get a message that the Federal return can not be efiled. I am not trying to efile the Federal. I tried deleting the Federal efile info....created other issued regarding the preparer. Suggestions??? Perhaps delete all Federal schedules and and override to enter the state figures??? Haven't had this happen before....something different this year??

Thanks......

Prepare both the federal and state. Create the efile file for both. Make a change and save it. That will stamp both efile files as rejected. Then go back and create the efile file for the state only. Remember you will ALWAYS need the federal EFILE form even if you are only efiling the state.

I have a disabled client on social security and just a few dollars of interest income. She will have a Homestead Property tax credit through the state. I get a message that the Federal return can not be efiled. I am not trying to efile the Federal. I tried deleting the Federal efile info....created other issued regarding the preparer. Suggestions??? Perhaps delete all Federal schedules and and override to enter the state figures??? Haven't had this happen before....something different this year??

Thanks......

In Michigan to get the Michigan and the Homestead Property Tax Credit to efile you have to have at least one dollar of income on the federal return. So I just put in 1.00 of interest income and it efiles just fine. No tax on the federal for just 1.00. If you want to efile the Michigan only you need to mark it MI only. and choose the MI 8453.

It usually goes just fine.

Taxtrio