ATX Community

1099-MISC, BOX 7 OR BOX 3?

Edward

Taxpayer receives 1099-Misc, Box 7 with 2100.00? I think it should go in box 3 instead.

She has been taking pills under a voluntary medical research testing program. She signed up to participate in the program - took these pills for nearly 1 year and gets the 2100. and its placed in Box 7 and not box 3. The organization tells me they have been doing it this way for the past 10 years. In looking at the IRS instructions for Box 3 entries it says: "Prizes & awards received in recognition of past accomplishements in SCIENTIFIC AND EDUCATIONAL are not reportable if the winners are chosen without action on THIER PART - but she did volunteer? Anyone know how I should handl this? Thanks

I think - always dangerous - that it is correct in Box 7. There are some people who actually make a modest income by being guinea pigs, if you will, for scientific and medical research, not unlike those who give blood for money on a regular basis. You definition states 'prizes and awards...' not compensation. I think this is compensation not a prize or award.

Thanks, KC, for your usual clarification. I don't always write all that goes through my mind. I was actually thinking of Line 21, but I think your suggestion to link to Line 7 is the better option. Still learning...

Edward, I am sorry that I didn't specify Line 21 which is what I was thinking. In this case, you are stating that this individual did not engage in this as a trade or business and I think KC's clarification was on target.

On the same subject: I have a 20 year old (in college) who received a 1099Misc for work at a Summer Camp. And she also received a 1099Misc for some work for the American College of Surgeons. She is not self employed, just working during the summer while attending college. Would these amounts go to Line 7? In 2008 I put the Summer Camp income on Line 21. IRS came back and reclassified the income as Self Employed and charged her self employment tax.

Diane