ATX Community

Medlin G/L, A/P, & A/R

Booger

I don't use the A/P, but I use the P/R, G/L, and A/R. All three modules suit my purposes just fine. If you like the payroll I'm sure you will like the general ledger and accounts recivable. The main disadvantage I see is that there isn't a lot you can do to change the APPEARANCE of the reports, but for me, that is no problem. The big advantage is the simplicity of use and of course the price. You can't use the program on a network, but for me that is no real problem, but it would be nice if I could.

Report appearance:

In beta so no guarantees... Payroll will create most reports on paper, as images (GIF), and as CSV data. With CSV, you can import into whatever you wish and manipulate. It will not likely be until 2012 that these options make it to our non-payroll programs. The images are for e-mailing, and for those who prefer (foolishly IMHO) not to keep paper records. (Paper can get lost and damaged, but it is not rendered useless by computer failure, computer replacement, power outages, operating system changes, etc. etc. etc.) The images also allow us to offer a closely scaled print preview.

Network support is a tough one to crack. Our software is designed to be as simple and easy to use as practical. Networks are not. I was just dealing with a caller in a literal panic. Turns out they were keeping their data on a server and the server was down. ("The data was there when I left yesterday. It is not here this morning. FIX IT FOR ME NOW!" is a fair representation of the caller's perspective.) Networks have delays, multi-user issues, and issues with the person actually doing the work having no idea how their network operates. I just cannot see us supporting network installation or usage any time soon. With that said, we cannot stop someone from using a network so I am sure we have many that do. We do try to prevent multiple access by locking files, but file locks are not perfect. To officially offer support/usage over a network would dramatically increase support time, which would likely have to increase program cost unacceptably.