ATX Community

Past due payments

mdmcfarland

I have a client that owed a couple hundred dollars in 2006. This client was a high school student last year and is in college this year. I assumed her parents were paying her taxes for her. Her mother informed me yesterday that nobody had paid the taxes due. She says that they did not get any letters on the taxes owed. I was told that they planned on paying the 2006 taxes with their refund from this year. If the daughter gets a refund herself this year, will the back taxes be withdrawn from that refund?

That brings up another question. I swear I used to know the answer to this, but sitting here, I'm just not sure.

Will the FMS hotline let you know whether your refund will be offset for unpaid income taxes, or is it just for nontax liabilities (child support, delinquent student loans, etc.)? In other words, if the daughter phoned FMS, would the system let her know that her refund would be subject to offset for those unpaid taxes? Thanks, and I really did used to know this.

That brings up another question. I swear I used to know the answer to this, but sitting here, I'm just not sure.

Will the FMS hotline let you know whether your refund will be offset for unpaid income taxes, or is it just for nontax liabilities (child support, delinquent student loans, etc.)? In other words, if the daughter phoned FMS, would the system let her know that her refund would be subject to offset for those unpaid taxes? Thanks, and I really did used to know this.

Slappy, I don't think it would work for income taxes due. I believe it is only for those other debts. They could call the IRS or their state dept of revenue to see if they owe back taxes.

Eli