ATX Community

No Ptin

Achmid

I was unable to register for a ptin on IRS web site although I have had the same # for years- unable to correct errors. I filed by paper W12 on 11/18/2010 with payment. Called their #, canned useless message and nobody to speak to. Must file returns now. What to do? (although I know what I am going to do !)

NATP has just been informed by the IRS of important details regarding the current PTIN process. Because many of you have expressed concerns, we felt it was necessary to share this with you as soon as possible.

Preparing Returns After January 1, 2011

Guidance is in development for individuals who have made a good faith effort to obtain a PTIN but have been unsuccessful. This does not mean we plan to delay the PTIN requirement this filing season, but instead means that people who have had problems getting their PTIN can continue preparing returns during the short interim periods until they are successful. Stay tuned.

Paper Inventory

The paper inventory is being worked as quickly as possible. There are some applications (about 3,000) that are past the six week response time. These have failed authentication and special analysis is ongoing with them. There are approximately 16,000 other applications that are not past the six week response time and these are being worked first in/first out.

The CSRs at the call site are also the individuals who work the paper inventory and currently an emphasis is being placed on the paper inventory vs. staffing the phones.

While the majority of paper is being worked within the 6 week response time, people who have paper applications filed over 6 weeks ago do not need to call. The staff cannot confirm receipt of the application nor where it is in the process. The preparer can continue to try to register online.

Phone Demand

The wait time on the help line is quite high currently because the staff is working to clear the paper inventory. We apologize for the inconvenience while we balance these workloads but expect it to be a short term issue.