ATX Community

JH Ads

Terry D EA

We are anticipating inclement weather here in the middle of NC. More than 3 snow flakes or less (give or take a few) within a 2 minute time window causes the grocery stores to empty of all water, milk and bread, school closings, church closings, business closings;etc. So, as I am enjoying a day off, I see this Jackson Hewitt and Walmart ad that says come to Walmart and get your taxes done and get a huge check all for $38.00. I think one part of the ad said starting at $38.00 and another part said $38.00. They once again forgot to mention how they were going to fleece the client once they got them there. Other ads have large words stating come and get your Refund Anticipation Loan and guess what, HRB has the same ad. I want to be the first person who gets their taxes done for $38.00 and walk out with a huge check all for $38.00. I think I will try it or set someone else up to do it just to see. Demand the prep and huge check for $38.00 per the ad.

I think it is just a 1040A. You can't e-file some forms til mid Feb, so how are you going to get a RAL and you BIG FAT check. Let's get the folks in the door then we can fleece them.

If you succeed in getting a return done for $38 let us know because I will take my return to them. For $38 how can I go wrong?????

The problem is, most of the folks filing a Sch A don't know they can't yet. As usual, the ads are mis-leading and these bottom feeders will probably be loaning them their own money (if they have any left, or come up with some other scam to get the business. In the past when the IRS computers locked up (2003 I think) my local JH offices told folks that they had a connection with the IRS and they could get returns filed and got them more money than I did because they didn't know the tax laws, lied to the client, took their money and said see ya later. They forgot to tell the client when the folks at JH screwed up, they (the client) would be left holding the bag and they didn't get their refund when promised due to some other gliche. Geez, will they ever stop

HRB is advertising free tax returns. I heard it on the radio this morning. Only applies to 1040EZ. State and EIC are extra. Offer only good through February 15th.

I would hate to work for HRB this year. The commissions on free returns is gonna suck.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Tom, I bet the loan isn't free. It is sad that they make enough money off of the crappy loans that they can afford tol prepare the return for free. Oh yeah, as you mentioned, the preparers will take the hit on that one, no commission and at minimum wage only costs HRB about 7.50. Again, whatever it takes at some poor undeserving soul's expense. I gotta sleep at night and I am so glad I don't do these things or use these kind of tactics. I guess greed overshadows the fact that good service and honest transactions will gain just as many clients.