ATX Community

W-2 W-3 1099 1096

TAXMAN

I noticed again that these two forms needs to be printed on the RED paper per the instructions. My software allows to print on black and white. Can we print and submit to SS the black printed ones. I notice that the 1096 and the 1099 still have to be printed on the RED ones. Anyone know for certain?

:scratch_head:

Okay, I can't remeber the dollar figure of the penalties that can be assessed for not using the red forms. Whatever that amount is,(it may be substantial), it is worth going through the hassel to get the red forms. The IRS will send them to you for free or you may be able to pick some up at your local IRS office. Personally, I would not print the SS or the IRS copies in black and white. Get the red forms and use them in your printer

SSA has accepted black & white W2 (Copy A) and W3 forms for many years. There will be no danger of penalties for submitting W2 & W3 printed in black ink on standard white paper, provided you use software which is approved (such as ATX).

IRS, however, still requires that 1099 & 1096 forms be printed on the red drop-out forms. There is a potential $50 per form penalty if this instruction is not followed.