ATX Community

Error messages while "fixing" depreciation in 09 conversions?

Kea

Has anyone else encountered these errors? I know I should call Tech Support, but they'll just want to take over my computer to look around and fix. I've had problems with this before & I would prefer to keep my clients' files confidential.

I've started converting my '09 files from ATX to TaxWorks. I figured I'd start with my big ugly file that has a little of (almost) everything in it. When I'm trying to fix conversion errors in the depreciation section, I keep getting these error messages. Sometimes it's when I go to "Peek" sometimes while just typing data.

Once I got some kind of message about the need to update all assets recognizing non-conforming states and re-depreciate.

But the ones I get most are:

This application has encountered an error

Application C:\TaxPrep\TY09\Bin\TW09AM.DLL

Error: 9 (Subscript out of range)

Module clsAM.cls

Procedure: Function ShowIt

Line 600

Error Number = 0

User = Kea

Product = TRXPro 1040 2009

and

TW 09 RPTA

Run Time error '13'

Type mismatch

Application C:\TaxPrep\TY09\Bin\TW09RPTA.DLL

Error: 440 (Automation Error)

Module cls rpts.cls

Procedure: Function ShowIt

Line 80

Error Number = 440

User = Kea

Product = TRXPro 1040 2009

And then

Could not merge output. Either the client's file is corrupt or the Feder DLL is not registered. Try registering all DLLs.

Could not open merged input file 1779 from 09.

How do you register all DLLs?

Does it sound like I should just re-install everything?

Thanks!

I did not encounter any such errors however DLL files are program files that may be either missing and/or corrupted. I would start again with one of the returns that had the problem and see the outcome. If the same conditions exist I would call tech support.

For the record I just completed converting my 1041 returns successfully.

I was advised that the business conversion should be available early next week.

Other that being somewhat late, the entire conversion process went pretty well for me.

Best of luck.

Mike Dubin CPA

Thanks Mike. I'm glad to know the process can run smoothly and that there are no inherent problems with the program. It sounds like the problems I'm having are specific to this installation. I'll triple check that no other programs are running during installation (not even things in the background that I usually don't think about). At least I only have to worry about the 1040s. I had a couple of 1041s but they were for descendants and were closed in 2009. So nothing that needs to rollover there.

I keep getting the same errors. I've tried to roll over the file I'm working on to 2010 just to test there, too. (Even though the 2009 is not completely fixed yet.) Just trying to move on with my testing. Now my 2010 won't update anymore. Not from the updater in the task bar or from the program. I had already run the "fix" they e-mailed us & I thought it was working. But now the updater won't even start (I get a Windows error and it offers to look for a solution). I do have version 6 loaded, so I went ahead with my testing. The file I rolled over doesn't seem to have much in it. No Schedules Cs (there had been 2), no assets (there had been around 60). I'm also getting a Microsoft.Net error message. I think something major got corrupted somewhere.

I've run Advanced System Care and it found a few things. I'm now backing up my whole TaxPrep folder. I'm not sure which are the most important folders are needed. (When I tried to check out the user manual, the program couldn't connect to that location!) Next step is to uninstall everything and start over with nice clean installs. I haven't done any "real" files yet, and only a few "test" files. Since TRX doesn't list any Sunday hours, I hope they will be open tomorrow on the MLK Day holiday. I think I'll also download the 2009 program again. The one I'm using is the one I downloaded last April. Maybe there have been some "fixes" since then. [EDIT -- I found the manual and it does list Sunday hours. I'll call later today after my backup finishes and I run some errands.]

And I had promised myself I would get an earlier start this year. That's what I get for letting myself procrastinate again.

Thanks again.

I did the online chat with tech support and she wanted me to call in and do a screen share. I'm still not comfortable with this option (but will do it as a last resort). I asked about the un-install / re-install idea and she thought it might work. I did that and still got a few errors, so I "repaired" the programs (09 & 10) in the un-install software control panel. So far things are running more smoothly, but I can't say all errors are gone. When I clicked on the box to enter "advanced" 1099 Int, I got a very long message about "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." But I can't tell it had any impact. I entered data and it flowed where it was supposed to. I'm also still getting Microsoft .Net errors. But (so far) the program still functions. I'm not sure if I need to worry about these errors. I plan to keep testing and see what errors I get. Depending on the issues, I may still call tech support.