ATX Community

Moving a Spouse to Primary Taxpayer

Kea

Is there a way to change the Spouse & Primary taxpayers, either in an open return or during the 2009 - 2010 update?

On a return I did last year, the Primary Taxpayer died in 2009. So when I do the return this year, I will only need the spouse. Can I rollover & delete taxpayer & move spouse to primary?

On another return, clients divorced in 2010. The spouse is self employed. So, if he remains a client this year, I would like to be able to roll over all his assets and depreciation and move him to the Primary taxpayer. If not, that's a lot of typing to move everything into a new return.

I'm guessing these are not possible since everything seems to be based (saved) by SSN. (That could also cause a problem if you enter a wrong SSN and don't catch it until after everything is entered.)

Thanks.

... On a return I did last year, the Primary Taxpayer died in 2009. So when I do the return this year, I will only need the spouse. Can I rollover & delete taxpayer & move spouse to primary? ...

I just did a return where the spouse had died in 2009. So the 2009 return was MFJ with a date of death for the spouse. When I brought the return forward to do the 2010, the spouse's name and SSN were no longer on the return, and (IIRC) the filing status was no longer MFJ. So that much at least was automatically done when I brought the return forward.