ATX Community

Amended returns

Joann

I'm guessing 'next year' but who knows, there are such things as Miracles, right?

You are right, I don't think the IRS will allow 1040X to be efiled for the next 5 years unless a miracle occurs.

It is my understanding that the IRS really looks at each 1040X and that's why we can charge a contigent fee for amendments. I think the written explanation and the changes in amounts (let's say) on the additional child tax credit form are too hard for computers to handle.

They claim to be working on letting it be efiled 'soon', and certainly it should not be that hard to program for receiving them. After all, efile is not about the 'processing' of the return, which will no doubt continue to be looked at carefully. Efile is just about the method of receiving the data to be processed. True, sometimes we will probably still want to paper file them, if the return in question requires multiple worksheets and supporting documents, etc. But many amendments are just to add a missed W-2 or interest income or such, and could be very easily efiled and processed very simply.