ATX Community

Ohio Tax Help

Dave T

JB, Ray, or other Ohio preparers a little help please.

Client's son began attending college in Ohio in the fall, John Carroll University, and worked part time there ( at the school) as well.

His W-2 has a small amount of Ohio state tax withheld as well as a bit more local tax and labeled UnivHgts as the locality.

I presume he would be consdidered a part year resident but am wondering which form(s) I would need to file on his behalf both for the state and the locality.

He only made approx. $ 600 so also presume he would be getting a refund but just want to be sure.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dave T

I would keep his address as his permanent home address (not school address) for the full year. College is normally viewed as a temporary absence...not a change in address.

retaining his home address, I would file the normal Fed and Ohio returns and possibly the locality. is his school address in a district that has an ohio school district tax?

If the UnivHgts is a local/city tax, I would go ahead and file return with that city (again using his permanent home address) so they can see that locality taxes were properly withheld from his pay