ATX Community

Installing 2006 and copying files on new computer

Bill N Debbie

Hi all,

Got a new laptop that I will be using as my server running XP Pro. I was hoping y'all would know the best practice for installing 2006 (for rollover)and maybe prior years. I know I've done this in prior years (had all the way back to 98, but I forgot how I did it.) I was thinking I just backed up the files on the old computer, then did a clean install of archive program on the new computer, then restored the backups. But this did not get the modified forms. Had to remodify the forms.

Should (could) I copy from my ATX 2006 folder to the new laptop then install 2006 over top into the same folder? Would that take care. From some other posts I know I would need the Masters folder, Database folder and possibly others?

Since I was networked last year, I don't need (or want) to remove users. I'm skittish of needing to use repair.exe.

Thanks for input,

Bill

I just did this successfully for 2006 back through 2001 (6 years worth). I performed all of this via my home network - no extra media (e.g. external hard drive) required! This is on two XP systems.

On the old computer, I shared each of the ATX200x folders.

This process is for each ATX200x year:

On the new computer, I used Explore to go to the ATX2006 installation folder and I renamed:

Backup -> Backup.orig

Database -> Database.orig

Masters -> Masters.orig

Then I created new folders for the three I renamed (Backup, Database, Masters).

On the new computer, I opened up ATX2006 in one Explore window, and the shared ATX2006 from the other computer in a second Explore window (via My Network Places).

I made sure I was in the same named folder in both Explore windows (Backup on new computer and Backup from shared computer). In the shared Expore window for Backup, I did a Select All and then Copy.

Then I switched to the new computer Explore window for Backup and did the Paste.

Repeat for Database and Masters.

Then Repeat all these steps for each AYX200x year to move.

Afterwards, I went into each ATX200x on the new computer, had to reset the Preferences, ran an Update to ensure I had the latest of everything, and opened a few returns.

As far as I can tell, this has worked perfectly. YMMV.