ATX Community

Form 8300

Eli

Taxpayer is self employed. His girlfriend is raising the question if Form 8300 is needed if he earns more than $10000 in a year. He does not get anywhere near that amount from one single person or company. He does have way more than 10000 in self-employment income but from many different clients. I have never used this form & from what I read it doesn't appear that he would need it.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Eli

"Who must file. Each person engaged ia trade or business who, in the course of that trade or business, receives more than $10,000 in cash in one transaction or in two or more related transactions, must file Form 8300. Any transactions conducted between a payer (or itsagent) and the recipient in a 24-hour period are related transactions. Transactions are considered related even if they occur over a period of more than 24 hours if the recipient knows, or has reason to know, that each

transaction is one of a series of connected transactions."

To me, the key word in the instructions is cash. That does not appear to be the case in your post.

"Who must file. Each person engaged ia trade or business who, in the course of that trade or business, receives more than $10,000 in cash in one transaction or in two or more related transactions, must file Form 8300. Any transactions conducted between a payer (or itsagent) and the recipient in a 24-hour period are related transactions. Transactions are considered related even if they occur over a period of more than 24 hours if the recipient knows, or has reason to know, that each

transaction is one of a series of connected transactions."

To me, the key word in the instructions is cash. That does not appear to be the case in your post.

Thank you, JRS! I read the form just to make sure, but always feel better to get a 2nd opinion :-)

Eli