ATX Community

Depreciation Methods in TRX

Crank

Picked up a new client who has his own contracting business and uses a Van 100% for the business.

Last years tax return shows it being depreciated on for 4562 as "listed property" in Part V, Section A, Line 26. "Property Used More Than 50% In A Qualified Business use:" Depr method is listed as 5 Yr, 200BD-MQ. That amount then carries to pg 1, Part IV, Line 21 "Listed Property" and Line 22 "Total" of the 4562.

I believe this is the correct treatment (per Pub 946) however I cant find the correct depreciation method to use in TRX.

I have tried both "Vehicles" & "Trucks & Vans" in the type drop down menu and depr methods #3 MACRS 5YR 200DB Switch to SL (which I believe is the correct one) and #105 MACRS 200BD Mid 4th Qtr, but the both slot the depreciation Section III, line 17 MACRS depreciation on the form 4562. Page 2 of the 4562 doesnt even generate.

How do I get this depreciation to the Listed Property section line 26 where I believe it is supposed to be?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

John

Figured this out. Option on the right of the asset tracker for "listed items".

What confuses me is there is also another vehicle listed and I have never run into a situation like this:

TP says he uses this vehicle very little.

2003 vehicle 70.20% business use - no depr taken in 2009 - Cost 15,167, rec basis 10649, accum depr 10570

2003 same vehicle (carryover basis-from trade-in?) 70.20% business use - no depr taken in 2009 - Cost 31,446, rec basis 22078, accum depr 25770

The accum depr exceeds the recovery basis on both entries, this confuses me.

Ive looked over Pub 946 and I am at a loss on how to treat this.

Any help is REALLY, GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated ... LOL

:)

John

Edit: TP states person who did his taxes claims that the accum depr exceeds the recovery basis beacuse some years the business use dropped below 50%. This is new to me so I dont know if this is correct or not. Also, TP claims that he converted this vehicle to personal use as of 1/1/10 (thankfully the beginning of the year).

So all I need to do is figure out how to handle the disposition of this asset.

So once again, I am open to ALL suggestions as I dig through Pubs 946 & 544 (Sales & Other Dispositions of Assets)

Thanks!

John :)

Resolved converting the fully depreciated vehicle (and the carry-over basis) from business use to personal use fairly easily in the Asset Tracker. It also appears to have correctly calculated the amounts and carried them to the respecive forms correctly. Nice! :)

Depreication can be a real pain sometimes ... lol