ATX Community

K-1 Input / Questions

Crank

I really hate K-1s.

I have a K-1 with an amount on line 19C (Distributions) however the TRX / TaxWorks input form only has hard coded input boxes for Lines 19A & 19B. The K-1 instructions dont address this line but I assume its not a "Distribution of money" (19A) so I put it in 19B "Distributions of property other than money".

Am I correct putting it on line 19B?

Has anyone else had this or a similar issue?

Also, the K-1's state that "You may be required to file state returns for each state in which the partnership had operations. The three K-1s for this one client list 18 states each with income ranging up to $59. How do I determine if state returns need to be filed in each of these 18 states (ugh read every single state's income tax guide lines?).

And assuming each requires a state return I wonder if TRX can handle a return with 18 states all being efiled.

And the bill for this will be ridiculous charging for each state and research time it could be very large for a family of four in the lower end of the 25% tax bracket

Depends on the state. Both QuickFinders and The TaxBook have State tabs that list the filing requirements for each state (resident & non-resident). I did learn last year that NM requires an NR return for ANY amount. (BTW, TaxWorks did not calculate any tax for the NM return I rolled over from ATX which calculated $2. It won't even let me "peek" at the form to see how its calculations vary. Oh well, I hope I don't need that one this year.)

I wish I could tell you if line 19B is correct. Don't you just love it when the K1 instructions for a particular line say "Check with your tax professional?" Gee, thanks, that tells me a lot.

If you don't have either of these books, you can list the 18 states, and I can look up their NR requirements.

Wow. I really HATE K-1s

Thank you Kea! Here are the 17 non-resident states and the related income (net of G/l's).

Here's what I found in the 2010 The TaxBook regarding non-resident states:

CA - 62 - you may want to research CA's rules. TB says if they have any CA sourced income & meet the other CA filing requirements

CT - 3 - have gross income over certain limits (and a few things that probably don't apply). Also says: NR must generally file if they meet the filing requirements above & have any CT source income. EXCEPTION: Income from casual, isolated, or inconsequential activities is not included in CT source income.

FL - 1 - No state income tax

IL - 10 - NR must file "if they earned income from IL sources, or want a refund of IL income tax withholding"

IN - 15 - "...if they receive income from Indiana sources"

MI - 8 - must file if they have Michigan source income & owe MI tax or their Fed AGI exceeds exemption allowance. NR prorate exemption allowance. NOTE: if you file a federal return you should file a MI return, even if no tax liability, to avoid unnecessary correspondence

MO - 2 - over $600 in MO income

NJ - 13 - any NJ source income & meet other gross income tests ($10-20K depending on filing status)

NY - 56 - various filing levels depending on filing status ($3K - $15K) and: are subject to minimum income tax; or incurred a NY NOL with out incurring a similar federal NOL

OH - 10 - any OH source income unless one of the exceptions is met:

-- Individual is a full-year NR living in a border state & NR's only OH source income is from wages & salary.

--individual has no Sch A adjustments & Fed AGI does not exceed $11,600 or $13,200 (depending on filing status)

--Individual's only source of income is retirement income eligible for the retirement income credit and the credit is the same or more than tax before credits

--Individual's exemption amount is the same or more than OH AGI. OH allows a $1600 exemption for each taxpayer and each dependent reported on the federal return.

TN - 2 --required if they maintained a residence in TN > 6 months AND taxable interest & dividend income exceeds $1250 ($2500 MFJ).

TX - 1 -- No state income tax

Gee that doesn't look like that saves you many states.

I've run into a few K-1s like this, but the states they've listed generally had reasonable minimums. The only time I've had to file a state return due to a K-1 was for one based in OK and all income was OK. They even supply an OK K-1. Since my client is in TX, the OK is NR and cannot be e-filed.

Might I suggest an extension for this? But, be careful, some states accept Fed extensions & some don't.

Good luck!

I just wish I could have given you better news. I know several states are like MO that just say amounts over X are reported. I couldn't believe almost all your states were not as generous.

I'm glad I could help answer your question. I always feel like I ask way more questions than I answer.

Good luck. (again)

• 2 weeks later...

New client has 3 of these Oil / Gas K-1s (and an easy farm partnership one). 2 of these show a Gross Income (or Gross Receipts) column with "substantial" amounts (several hundred $). Is this the column I need to use? Or, do I add up values from other specific columns. If so, which columns? Most of the other columns are negative, so if I can use those, I probably won't have to any states. If I use the "Gross" column, I'll be doing a bunch. Then I'll have no idea what gets reported where on a state return.

I've only done a couple of these types of K-1s before & pretty much everything was negative. So, I didn't really care how the specific calculation was done, because I was under the State's limits no matter what.

One thing I did find helpful from a post on the "main" part of this board was the link to the Tax Packages website. All 3 of the ones I am working on are on that site. Just needed the client to grant me access to their accounts. There is a link on the left ("Transfer Federal K1 amounts to Tax Forms") that shows you how all the appropriate forms get filled out on the Federal schedule - specifically for YOUR CLIENT!! (No help for the states!)

I hope the Tax Package Tax forms info helps you, Crank, & anyone else working on these. Perhaps it will show you where to carry your distributions in Box 19C.

But I hope someone can advise what totals to use to see if state is required.

Thanks

Kea,

Im trying to find the sectio you referenced in this part of your post:

"One thing I did find helpful from a post on the "main" part of this board was the link to the Tax Packages website. All 3 of the ones I am working on are on that site. Just needed the client to grant me access to their accounts. There is a link on the left ("Transfer Federal K1 amounts to Tax Forms") that shows you how all the appropriate forms get filled out on the Federal schedule - specifically for YOUR CLIENT!! (No help for the states!)"

I assume you mean in the ATX Forum

- The second topic from the top (pinned) titled "Tax Software Vendor List"

- The second link in the post titled "Taxsites.com" / Link To Vendor Websites"

After I go to the site here: http://www.taxsites.com/Income-Tax-Preparation.html

I cant find the link on the left ("Transfer Federal K1 amounts to Tax Forms") that shows you how all the appropriate forms get filled out on the Federal schedule - specifically for YOUR CLIENT!

Is this the correct place that you were referencing? Could you please provide a link to it.

Thanks

Crank - Sorry I wasn't more specific in my previous post. I didn't look for the specific post while I was typing the reply. I was being lazy and not opening another tab.

What I meant was the 5th reply in this post on General Chat:

My link

You have to copy and paste the whole link, or just use this one:

Tax Package link

From there you can choose the specific company -- if it's on the list. Your client will need to set up a log-in account & then add you to the list of allowable log-ins. The only info your client needs is an e-mail address, SSN & Last Name. The "unit holder" can then add other e-mail addresses.

Once you log in there are several choices down the left side. You can get a .pdf of everything that was mailed to your client (so you don't have to scan if you want to keep electronically) & you can check the tax forms entry. Those are the only 2 I've used.

Hope that helps.

You're welcome. I hope your K-1s are on that site.

So what did you include when you came up with the state totals? Did you add up the columns or just use a gross income column? I'm finding the gross income column is MUCH higher than the adding up the columns.

Thanks!

From Kea:

Tax Package link

From there you can choose the specific company -- if it's on the list. Your client will need to set up a log-in account & then add you to the list of allowable log-ins. The only info your client needs is an e-mail address, SSN & Last Name. The "unit holder" can then add other e-mail addresses.

Once you log in there are several choices down the left side. You can get a .pdf of everything that was mailed to your client (so you don't have to scan if you want to keep electronically) & you can check the tax forms entry. Those are the only 2 I've used.

Hope that helps.

You're welcome. I hope your K-1s are on that site.

So what did you include when you came up with the state totals? Did you add up the columns or just use a gross income column? I'm finding the gross income column is MUCH higher than the adding up the columns.

Thanks!

I looked at the requirements of each state's Non-Resident returns. They are all different in what is taxable. Most say gross income from all sources which I interpreted to be net of gains / losses.

I havent done them all as this will be an extension to give me time to look at 18 states.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, but I'm still curious about this "Gross Income" or "Gross Receipts" column. In one example, on the K1 itself, box 1 = <320>, box 5 = 2, and box 9a = 62. One of the states is LA and it has:

1 Ordinary income or loss = <106>

2 Interest income = 1

3 Net short term CG = 0

4 Net Long term CG = 21

5 Gross Receipts = $977

LA says to file with any LA sourced income. If I use 1 - 4, I'm still negative. But 5??? Or, does that not come into play since their expenses apparently exceeded their receipts? So, still no net income? Or, does 5 get added to 1-4?

Even though I won't spend much time on the states until after 4/18, I just want to know which ones will need extensions.

MontanaEA - I'm glad you liked the link, but the credit goes to JRS who posted it on the General Chat section.

I didnt have any with Gross receipts but I think it would not be based on this. I assume that is just gross revenue before expenses so I would use the ord income plus gains or losses. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

As I said before. I REALLY hate K-1s.

Hope that helped.