ATX Community

DCN for Form 8453

artp

How do I get the DCN for an e-filed return processed thru TRX ? The Federal E-file confirmantion has a Submission ID #, but that does fit the DCN input for Form 8453 which I need to file to transmitt a Form 4852. I tried several times to get an answer from TRx, but they could not assist me. Has anyone done this with TRX ? Your assistance is appreciated.

Art

How do I get the DCN for an e-filed return processed thru TRX ? The Federal E-file confirmantion has a Submission ID #, but that does fit the DCN input for Form 8453 which I need to file to transmitt a Form 4852. I tried several times to get an answer from TRx, but they could not assist me. Has anyone done this with TRX ? Your assistance is appreciated.

Art

This is a problem occurring as the IRS transitions from their legacy e-file system to their Modernized E-File system (MeF). Returns filed via MeF have a submission ID, but do not have a DCN. The IRS has addressed this problem on their website for other forms, such as the 9325, but I couldn't find anything about the 8453. In the case of the 9325, the tax preparer was directed to simply use the Submission ID where the form called for the DCN.

I have not had this particular problem with TRX, since it appears that TRX does not use MeF for any return containing a state return. All of my 8453 returns also had associated state returns and so were transmitted using the legacy protocol with DCN.

Eventually this problem will be solved as MeF will have the capability to accept paper documents as .pdf files. This is currently true for the entity versions of MeF, but not true for the 1040 version.

In the meantime, I would use the submission ID on the 8453, ignoring the little boxes and manually writing it in.

This is a problem occurring as the IRS transitions from their legacy e-file system to their Modernized E-File system (MeF). Returns filed via MeF have a submission ID, but do not have a DCN. The IRS has addressed this problem on their website for other forms, such as the 9325, but I couldn't find anything about the 8453. In the case of the 9325, the tax preparer was directed to simply use the Submission ID where the form called for the DCN.

I have not had this particular problem with TRX, since it appears that TRX does not use MeF for any return containing a state return. All of my 8453 returns also had associated state returns and so were transmitted using the legacy protocol with DCN.

Eventually this problem will be solved as MeF will have the capability to accept paper documents as .pdf files. This is currently true for the entity versions of MeF, but not true for the 1040 version.

In the meantime, I would use the submission ID on the 8453, ignoring the little boxes and manually writing it in.

Don,

Thanks for reply. I will give it a try.

Art