ATX Community

Canadian worked in US for a few months

taxdan

A Canadian came to US to work for a short period in 2010 and received a 1099 MISC (box 7) for $1,650. He had no other earnings and went back to Toronto.

Do I simply file a return with a schedule C (there were little or no expenses) and have him pay the s/e tax? Do I file a 1040NR since he was only here temporarily for the work?

I appreciate the advice.

Dan

A Canadian came to US to work for a short period in 2010 and received a 1099 MISC (box 7) for $1,650. He had no other earnings and went back to Toronto.

Do I simply file a return with a schedule C (there were little or no expenses) and have him pay the s/e tax? Do I file a 1040NR since he was only here temporarily for the work?

I appreciate the advice.

Dan

Temporarily could mean a couple of years or 2 days, which is it? Check the tax treaty, most likely you will file schedule C and 1040NR.

Temporarily could mean a couple of years or 2 days, which is it? Check the tax treaty, most likely you will file schedule C and 1040NR.

Temporarily could mean a couple of years or 2 days...that is why I said a few months in the title.

Thanks for the info.