ATX Community

Non Profit

GeorgeM

I have a client that wants to start a not for profit organization.

I have never started one, but have done the bookkeeping and tax returns for them.

Can someone tell me what is needed to start a non profit.

I know it has to be approved by the IRS, but don't know what forms have to be completed.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Is this to be simply a not for profit or tax-exempt organization? IRS approval is primarily for those wanting tax exemption (see Pub. 1023 and instructions). First step would be to incorporate as a not for profit in the given state then do research on the type of nfp desired - the business purpose, as it were.

To receive tax-exempt status is not inexpensive these days so be sure to follow the steps. Besides the IRS publications and information (click on IRS. gov and click on Charities and Non-Profits), a great resource I have used for beginning steps and subsequent record keeping and filing is "Tax Planning and Compliance for Tax-Exempt Organizations" by Jody Blazek.

I have no vested interest in this company, but NOLO has a good book that would help you get somewhat upto speed. It does come in e-book format so you could download it and get started reading right away.

http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-form-a-nonprofit-corporation-NNP.html

I make all of my new not for profits buy and read this book. It does not answer all of their questions, but it does help them formulate the questions they are trying to ask.

I am certain there are other products out there, but this is the one I use.