ATX Community

Customizing the Simple Organizer?

John A

Does anyone know if there's a way to customize the Simple Organizer "List of Items that were on your 2010 Tax Return"? It seems to be missing so may things that's it's virtually useless - things like home mortgage interest, property taxes, tuition payments, IRA contributions, rental income, etc.

(I'm using TRX PRO 1040.)

Thanks!

- John

If trx pro is tax works, yes you can customize the tax organizer. I have trx premium which is tax works. You should choose the expanded organizer. The expanded organizer will have the items that are missing. You can customize the organizer letter by closing the client lists and selecting:

Settings / Custom letters

Thanks, but I don't think that's quite what I'm looking for. The expanded organizer is way too complex for almost all of my clients. There's a page that's produced in the Simple Organizer that lists all (or rather, NOT all, which is the problem I'm having!) of the items included on the 2010 return in one column, with another empty column labeled "Comments". It's basically just a checklist, which I'd like clients to provide to clients to make sure they've got all their tax forms before they make an appointment with me

I think that the answer to my question is "No" - there's probably no way to fix this other than getting Tax Works staff to fix the program so that the list includes all items.

• 4 weeks later...

John,

Your feedback is fairly common back to TaxWorks and we will be making some significant changes to Organizers for next year's program. I know that doens't help you short term, but I hear you loud and clear on the need and have included it in my feedback to the right people.

Thanks,

Ryan