ATX Community

Free After The Fact Payroll Software

Mike D

I called TRX today to inquire as to the status of the research software and was advised that they discontinued it after 2010.

I reminded them of the actions of ATX and how they would arbitrarily remove software without notification and when confronted they would have a special cost savings for you to purchase the same software?

They apologized and offered me their After The Fact Payroll Software for free which I downloaded and looked at briefly. I will spend some time using it later in the week and report to all of findings.

For any of you that purchased the TRX Premium Membership and wish to avail themselves of this software I would call them and let them know your feelings.

Good luck

Mike Dubin CPA

Mike,

I downloaded the TaxExact package after I called TRX regarding the same issue. I have yet to get this program working correctly and talking with support right now is just plain ugly. They claim they are getting more bandwidth for their phones as they state they have changed over to an internet based phone. Quite honestly it is horrible. What program did you download and look at? I can't seem to get any direct answers or help with this and to say the least, it is frustrating.

Had I known the outcome, I never would have posted this topic.

I downloaded Tax Exact and was finally able to connect to ATFP which comes with

No insrtuctions and/or training

No state tax support, only federal

And finally if you can figure out how to find form 1099 and albeit efile, you deserve a Pulitzer Prize.

In this case you only get what you pay for!

Mike Dubin CPA

Mike,

I have been waiting for a reply on this same issue..nothing to date. Now it sounds like it would be a waste of time. I had a direct contact at Red Gear last year who hooked me up on a filing program from Taxworks, but that contact is not there..so I guess it is time to punt and find a stand alone program to take care of the W-2s and 1099s.

Art

Mike,

You hit it right on the head. After all the trouble support finally got the TaxExact working. However, all I see is the ability to create payroll ending period forms such as 940, 942 W-3, 1096. I cannot find how to create the W-2 or 1099 forms either. Not worth the time and effort that I put in to it. The support staff obviously does not know anything about payroll. I did explain what I wanted several times and still ended up with what I got. I guess when you think about it, completing 941. 940 and the other forms are definitely after the fact payroll. Big misconception on the sales end as well.

• 2 weeks later...

On a somewhat related topic, I did purchase (or think I did) the TRX Premium package last year and this year as they gave me the lower price (after the ATX kerfuffle). I figured I had it since I have the business forms and could e-file the one partnership I did last year. But now I've noticed that the 2010 & 2011 programs are called TRX Pro (not Premium). I have all states, but no W2, W3, 1099, 1096, 943, etc. I am using Tax Works, not TaxExact. Should I have these other forms? (I do have them in Form Filler, if that counts for anything.)

I'm only doing 1 each of: W2, W3, 1099Misc, 1096 & 943. I prefer e-file options, but it doesn't sound like it's practical to just through the hoops to set that up. I can print from Form Filler, but that doesn't give me the Red IRS copies. But at least I can send the employee a printed copy. If I pick up blank forms, I have to fill them out handwritten (not so professional looking).

Am I missing any options that I should have?

Thanks

Kea,

The forms and features are dependent on which package that you contracted to purchase? I originally purchased the Premium Package which does provide all of the business returns as well as e filing, however it does not provide for forms W-2, 1099, etc. I was elated that they were going to provide me with their after the fact payroll software but after reviewing it I found it left alot to be desired, see my earlier posts.

I also noticed that their homegrown Premium package, Tax Exact does not provide forms 1041, 706, 709, 990 and 5500. I brought this to their attention and they indicated that they would be providing all of these additional forms for 2012.

I was solicited by Doug Hughes Pres of TRX to participate in selecting and developing a fixed asset package for Tax Exact. I responded to Doug that I would be happy to participate after the tax season which he agreed to. This leads me to believe that they may be nearing the end of their contract with Red Gear and as such are trying to perfect Tax Exact?

I will keep you posted.

Mike Dubin CPA

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I got the impression from the above discussion that the payroll forms left something to be desired. My confusion is more related to the differences in the packages. Last year & this year I ordered the Tax Works Premium package & thought I had them since I had the business returns & could e-file them. However, I only recently noticed the name of the program is "TRX Pro" (not Premium) and that I didn't have any 943, W2, 1099, etc.

So my 1st question is whether I am I getting the correct program.

If so, what is the best way to handle the very few W2, 1099s that I need to do? Just handwritten on the IRS carbon forms?

If not, I'll need to contact TRX to see how to get the correct program.

I have gotten along OK with the Tax Works program, but I do understand that they have contract issues to deal with. A "home-grown" product will probably help them (and us) in the long run. But I hope they have all the forms included and all the bugs worked out before that becomes our only choice. I'm glad you will be helping them develop a robust TaxExact program. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

Ryan from RedGear here. Just a quick plug, since I am working on another project this year and am late to the party here, to really take a look at TaxWorks in the coming year. We will be introducing features and a tremendously simplified user interface this going to be awesome. When I am able to share more, I will, but I have to at least throw it out there that what we will be doing is worth the look.

Take care,

Ryan