ATX Community

CA Preparers - Help Needed

Terry D EA

I posted this on the General Chat as well. If there are any CA preparers using TRX Pro, please help

I have a new client who is in the military and has moved to NC the last week of December. Here is the situation, he has been living in Florida for the last year, all income was from Florida. Spouse was a resident of CA. If I am understanding correctly, he is Domiciled in CA and considered a non-resident. CA form 540NR. Because the spouse is a resident of CA and CA is a community property state, one half of the taxpayers income is adjusted as a military pay adjustement correct? This is a little confusing and I am using TRX Pro and it doesn't appear the amounts are either flowing correctly or I have entered them incorrectly. I don't see one half of the military pay in column B of Sch CA line 7. Nor do I see the letters MPA beside column A. I do see the proper amounts in the other columns. What am I missing here? Working off of an input form is a PITA in this situation. When I hover over the adjustments box on line 7 of the input form it tells me generally an input here is not needed and if the person in the military is Domiciled in one of the other community property states then they are entitled/qualified for the adjustment and the proper MPA will be entered next to column A. Any help is appreciated.