ATX Community

SE Tax

OkieTaxGal

I work for a tax office that uses Ortax. They have a box to check on the schedule c that indicates the filer is 18 or under so the SE form is not generated. Is there anything like that for ATX? I haven't found it if there is......Do I just delete the form? Will the IRS be smart enough to look at the age of the filer? I have had them to change an elected use of the Schedule A for state purposes, so the client would get more back on the Federal.

Thanks for all the help.

Paula

Hey Jack,

Actually I found on the IRS website under their question and answer section under self-employed......... The IRS gives an answer to a question about a son being a newspaper carrier....

The IRS says........Your son may be liable to pay into the social security and medicare system by paying self-employment tax. However, if your son is under the age of 18, he is exempt from self-employment tax.

This is the only place other than Ortax program to show this info.

??

I work for a tax office that uses Ortax. They have a box to check on the schedule c that indicates the filer is 18 or under so the SE form is not generated. ...

Maybe I am missing something, but my version of OrrTax (the 2007 Windows version) only has three boxes on the C to check for exemption from SE tax:

1. A minister exempt from SE tax,

2. A former insurance salesman with termination pay exempt from SE tax, or

3. Exempt from SE tax due to filed and approved Form 4029.

I see no box related to age (nor to income as a notary or foreign SE income covered by a treaty). Where is it?

OldJack is absolutely correct. The only exemptions from Social Security taxes on wage earnings for a person under 18 are:

1) Newspaper carrier as noted by a previous poster

2) "Where the minor is working for his parent's non-corp business. That should be a W2 verses a Sch-C."

Otherwise, all earnings as wages are subject to Social Security taxes.

The amount should be shown on Box 3, Other Income, and reported on line 21 as other income. In ATX, if you click on that box, it leads you to a list of items that would be shown there. I believe that if the child's age is input on the Filer's info tab, that may suffice to be not subject to SE. For the 6 or so years that my son was a paperboy, that's where I put it.

Maybe I am missing something, but my version of OrrTax (the 2007 Windows version) only has three boxes on the C to check for exemption from SE tax:

1. A minister exempt from SE tax,

2. A former insurance salesman with termination pay exempt from SE tax, or

3. Exempt from SE tax due to filed and approved Form 4029.

I see no box related to age (nor to income as a notary or foreign SE income covered by a treaty). Where is it?

Don, I will check when I go back In next week. I know it's on there somewhere, because I used it last year. She does not use the Windows version she uses the classic version, maybe that makes a difference???

Thank you for all the help. I see there is only a few exeptions to the rule.

I'm so glad I found you guys (and gals) again. JB keeps me laughing thru the season. I was so dissapointed when It dissapeared from the ATX website.

Paula