ATX Community

Investment Interest Expense

Diane

Client borrowed money from brokerage account to loan to grocery store that is now owned and run by his sons. The client is no longer a shareholder. Don't know if the loan will ever be paid back. Client wants to claim the interest on the loan as investment interest expense. Is the interest deductible if it's a loan to the store? Could this interest be deducted if the money was used as a Capital Contributioin?

Diane

If your client is no longer a shareholder, did the others buy him out? How did they part ways? If this was treated as a loan from a shareholder, I don't see how it is determined as non collectible if the business has assets and still exists. A lot of additional information is needed here to try to answer your question.

Here is one for all of you. I have a new client who cashed out a $110,000 IRA to invest the money in her boyfriend's trucking business. Does anyone see any deductions here as per the penalty, etc. The only thing I could figure out to do was create a Partnership Return for them so that she can at least take half of the loss. He has been a client of mine for many years but this is his first year of driving his own rig OTR. I told her that since she consulted me, I have to do whatever I can to protect her interests. They have good faith agreements, supposedly in writing. They will both agree to whatever I advise. I prepared an amortization schedule, but where do I deduct the interest? I am thinking on the Partnership, but then she should have to claim it as income and with an $11,000 premature penalty, she has too much income already. She is 50; cannot find any exception to the penalty for her. Guess Love really is Blind!