ATX Community

Stock Basis

Christian

A client upon retirement took his company stock held in his 401k plan and transferred it to his brokerage account as a distribution. He paid income tax on the costs (basis) of his stock withdrawn. Last year after several years he sold 100 shares of his holdings. My reading on this is that he must divide his total stock holdings from the distribution into his basis to arrive at the cost per share. He then can multiply by 100 and subtract this from his sales price to arrive at the tax on what is a sizable capital gain. Is this correct?

The shares were acquired over many years for which he evidently has no record. His cost of all his shares were reported on his 1099-R provided by his plan administrator. The portion shown as taxable was what he paid for all shares. I'm going with the average costs argument since there evidently are no extant records on individual lot purchases over many years. Thanks for your input. If checked I feel the Service would likely agree.

I think that you are correct, Christian. Even though this is not a mutual fund, a distribution from a qualified plan has the option when they take the distribution in kind to pay tax on the stock distribution and continue to hold the stock. That establishes their basis, and therefore I would consider that to be one lot. Unless he has received other shares since his distribution as taxable dividends, he only has the single lot. Therefore, your method is FIFO for this lot, IMO.