ATX Community

Withdrawing as paid preparer

cred65

I don't believe you can but in the past I have sent a client a letter that says I am going to notify the IRS to have me removed. I also state that I don't know IRS procedures but the return might now be open to greater examination risk blah blah blah. This usually gets me a check!. I have done this 2x in the past 10 years or so.

>>I did not get paid<<

WHY NOT? [Check all that apply.]

a) Client is on hard times, so your pro bono work is a credit to our profession

b ) Client is a jackalope, which is as common as jelly beans in our profession so update your business plan to anticipate it

c) Client didn't appreciate the value, so update your presentation skills

d) You screwed up so you don't deserve to get paid

e) Other/unknown, so the old maxim applies--SW3: some will, some won't, so what?

In any case, there is really no reason to [check all that apply]

a) Waste any more time you won't get paid for

b ) Tell the IRS to look more closely at your work

"Dear John" - - -usually works for me.

Actually had a client years ago - -that gave me a bad check - - -so, I gave up after 3 letters - - -then - -they actually had the NERVE to call for an appointment the following year - - -I made the appointment - - -never said a word - -prepared the tax return - -knowing they were getting a very large refund - -and then presented them with both bills - - told them I would only take CASH before releasing and filing the tax return.

They were very indignant - - - -but - -after they actually WENT to H&R - -they came back with the cash. A few weeks after - -I sent them a "Dear John" letter -- -

• Like 1

"Dear John" - - -usually works for me.

Actually had a client years ago - -that gave me a bad check - - -so, I gave up after 3 letters - - -then - -they actually had the NERVE to call for an appointment the following year - - -I made the appointment - - -never said a word - -prepared the tax return - -knowing they were getting a very large refund - -and then presented them with both bills - - told them I would only take CASH before releasing and filing the tax return.

They were very indignant - - - -but - -after they actually WENT to H&R - -they came back with the cash. A few weeks after - -I sent them a "Dear John" letter -- -

Love your implimentation.
  • Like 1